Chapter Ten

The sound of the gunshot echoed around him, smoke delicately wafting from the end of his gun. Liam glared at the body laying on the ground. He hated when people thought they could double cross him and get away with it. Carlos stepped beside him, handing him a phone. Liam took one more look at the dead body before taking the phone.

"It's done." he spoke into the phone, already knowing who was on it.

"Good job." his father's voice rumbled down the line.  "How is everything else going?"

Liam wondered if his father knew about what had happened with Daniel, but more importantly he wondered if he knew about Rowen. He waited for him to say something else, waiting for her name to fall from his father's lips. When it never came, he answered.

"Fine. As always." he absentmindedly rubbed his index finger up and down the side of his gun as he waited for his father to say something more. He knew his father wanted to say something more.

"Good, good." Liam knew something more was coming. "I heard something interesting my son."

Liam's eyes narrowed as he answered. "Yes?"

"Anita called."  Rat bitch, Liam thought. He hummed his response. "She blabbered something about you beating her step-son half to death over some puttana." Liam growled. "Blood comes first boy, you know this."

Liam was going to kill Anita, she was weak blood, not someone that they would even really consider family, the only reason his father wanted Liam to go and speak to her was to act as a cover as to why he was really there, anything to hide what they really did especially with the police so interested in their family. His father didn't care that she had married a loser like Richard. His father only cared about three things, his business, his family, and his respect.

Liam knew what his father was like, knew what his father wanted from him in life. His father had been growing harsher the older he got. Like he was pushing Liam to be ready for something, something more than just taking over the family business. Liam had expected his father to push for that, he knew that would be coming soon, he also thought that his father would be pushing for Liam to marry, to have children. Something that Liam's mother wanted from him. 

Being the first born to a Mafia Don, meant many things. Being resected and responsible was one of them. Having a family, having heir's to take over when he was gone, that was another. It was all about keeping power in the family, and it didn't matter if you loved your family, just that you had one.

"I'm aware father." his agitation wasn't missed. 

"Get rid of the girl Liam. From what Anita tells me she is only after money. Another gold-digger"

Liam laughed. "Anita knows nothing about the girl, or her intentions. She makes enough money on her own to make her rather well off. If anyone was a gold-digger in the relationship between the girl and Anita's stepson it was the boy." 

Liam would never all Daniel a man, he didn't deserve the title. 

"You heard what I said. It doesn't matter to me who you fuck, but when that person comes between family..."

"You don't care about Anita father, and don't pretend to me that you do. I know you." Liam sneered.

"You heard me! I said to get rid of her, she is a distraction and not someone who is worthy of being your wife, or even a mistress. When the time is right, I will find you a wife."

"I don't think so father. You will listen to me, Anita hates her, probably because at twenty-one she has done more with her life, and has more money, than Anita will ever have. Anita hated that she was around her stepson! She hated that he focused more on the girl than Anita herself." Liam paused. "Perhaps you should ask Anita why she was so interested in her stepson's sex life and stop worrying about mine."