Chapter Seven.

My heart never pounded so hard in my life.  I swear that the others could hear it in the silence, but it was soon drowned out from the noise coming from the television. Here I stood, in the arms of Luhan, frozen in place.  I find it hard to believe that he has feelings for me, but I know I can’t let anything happen between us.  The contract letting me live my dream also put up restrictions on my life and that involves dating.  No fraternizing, no relationships, no flings, and not even dates.  I can’t form any relationship with any living, breathing person.  Dead people included, but that’s just plain creepy.

                Tilting my head back, I met Luhan’s adorable deer-like eyes.  His baby face was tomato red and he was chewing on his lip.  I felt a little broken, knowing I have to let him down; basically friend-zone him.  As much as I want to have a love live—it will never happen. Ever.

                Sadness ran cold down my veins and I pushed away from him.  Luhan’s face scrunched in confusion and I felt my emotions dropping.  I hate hurting people, especially the ones who put in the effort caring for me.

                He doesn’t deserve someone as cold and humorless as me.  Luhan could do so much better, and I have to make sure to grant that.  Silence ran between us and he shifted his feet uncomfortably.  I opened my mouth a bit to speak, but no words came out.  I choked on my own words for once, or rather, I was at loss.

                “You can’t like me.” I murmured, turning away from him. “I’m not someone guys fall for.”

                “Are you seriously saying that?” His voice was hard and it took all my will power to not face Luhan again.

                “I am.” I clenched my hands into fists. 

                I felt Luhan’s hands grasp my shoulder firmly and I flinched from the strength. “Don’t make us strangers again, Hyori.”

                Pain hit me like a brick.  Tears began to well in my eyes, and I don’t even know why.  I blinked them away, not allowing them to fall.  I gently took his hands off my shoulders and slowly faced him, meeting his serious gaze.  "You don't deserve to be treated badly, so I suggest its best that we remain strangers."

                “Wha—“He cut off, eyes wide.  As he stood there with his mouth hanging, I turned and ran up the stairs.  Luhan called my name, but I quickly entered my room and shut my door behind me.  I heard the others yell at Luhan for what happened, but their voices drowned out of my senses.  I didn’t let the tears fall down my eyes.  I know for a fact this won’t be the last time something like this will happen. 

                It comes with the job description.

                There was a knock behind me and I jolted away from my door, tripping over my own feet.  “Hyori?”

                I didn’t respond as I scrambled to get back to my feet and stumble to my bed, but my mind was going in circles.  I didn’t bother turning on the light, so I can’t tell where everything in my room is.  The door opened and a light shone behind me.  Reaching my bed, I stumbled up onto it.  My door closed and I heard Luhan’s footsteps walk towards me in the darkness.

                “We could never be strangers again, Hyori.” Luhan’s sweet voice spoke on the darkness.  His footsteps sounded away from me and my curtains were spread apart, allowing the rays of the full moon to enter.  I saw rain clouds begin to roll in and that made my emotions drop down further.