Chapter Eight

"So, what has happened in your life?" I ask breathlessly. "Nothing as interesting as what happened to you. Just going out to a few dates here and there, not really sure how deeply I feel for the guy."

"Well, that's-" I am cut off by my phone ringing. I dig it out of my pocket and answer it. "Hello?"

"Hey, where are you? You have been gone for hours. Are you alright?" I hear Ayden's voice seep through the phone's speakers.

"I'm fine. I'm hanging out with my friend. I probably won't be back until later on tonight. I really need to catch up with her."

"Okay, but I'll be lonely while you are with her." Ayden replies and I can practically hear him pouting.

"I guess that sucks for you. You can hang with your guy friends. I have to go, bye." I hung up quickly so that I could get back to my conversation with Haven quicker.

"Was that your husband?" Haven asks, eyebrow raised. 

"That doesn't matter. What matters is that you tell me about your life. I'll give you the full details after that."

"You are no fun," my friend playfully glares.

I roll my eyes and listen to her tell me what has happened to her the past six months. In return, I tell her the whole story behind Ayden and me.

"What if you are pregnant? What will you do?" Haven asks softly.

I think for a few minutes before I answer her. "I don't have any idea. He could be involved with Cora by then and I don't know if he'd want the baby." I answer, my voice shaky. 

"You seem scared."

"I am! I have no clue what to do with a baby! I really hope I am not pregnant..." I take a deep breath, then sigh as I check the time on my phone. "I have to go home. I will probably see you tomorrow to talk some more. Bye," I wave as I collect my things and leave Haven's house.

When I open my door, I notice it's unusually quite. I put my keys and purse on the table by the door. I head to the kitchen to start to fix some food.

 "How was your day?" I hear Ayden ask, sounding like he is coming closer.

"Good. It was great to see Haven again," I say as if I were talking to a friend. "That's good," Ayden says from right behind me. I didn't think anything of it, thinking he needed a glass from the cabinet above my head. Instead, I feel lips meet my neck at the same time arms wrap around my waist.

"What are you doing?" I gasp, wiggling in his arms. I was torn between staying in them or getting out of them, but I soon remember him with Cora. 

"Hugging and kissing you. I did everything you told me to. Why can't we have sex now?"

I grow angry. "Is that all you want from me?" 

"What?"

"Do you only want sex from me?" I yell, my blood boiling.

"We have to have a baby together... In order to do that-"

I don't bother to listen to the rest of his sentence. I yank his arms off me and storm off into our room. I slam and lock the door. I start to run a bath, needing to relax more than eat at this moment.

As I start undressing, I hear Ayden beating on the door and trying to open it. I ignore him as I sink into the tub, the water sloshing around as I do. I doze off until the water eventually becomes freezing. I get out, dry off, and get dressed. I hear my stomach growl, so I unlock the bedroom door and pull it open.

Ayden is resting his head on the doorframe, his eyes closed. I don't want to wake him, so I go to step over his body. My stomach growls loudly and Ayden stirs, waking up. He opens his eyes, sees me, and pulls me onto his lap. My face is inches from his and I try to not get lost in his eyes.

"What did I do to make you mad?" He whispers, voice husky from sleep.

"I-I-I," I stutter before clearing my throat and trying again, "I am your wife. You shouldn't just want me for my body. I guess you can't help it though- you don't love me, so what else is there to like about me?" I get up out of his arms and head to the kitchen. I finish getting my ingredients out and then I start cooking. 

"Alexandria I-" Ayden starts.

"No, you don't have to say anything or pretend to love me. It's fine, I understand. You can see other people, I don't care." I cut him off, my voice strong despite the fact I really want to break down.I don't hear Ayden say anything again and I hear him leave the house. 'I might as well go back to Haven's house.'