Chapter Twenty-Two

I make my decision. I get out of the car, go inside, pack enough clothes to last a few months, then get back to the car. I put my suitcase in the back of my car and slam the trunk shut. I get in the car and back out of the driveway. I find a hotel that is close to the house, but isn't the first or second hotel you come to. I check in- paying with cash- and lug my suitcase to the elevator with me. I get to my room and close the door behind me quickly. I lay on the comfortable bed, not bothering to unpack. I close my eyes, and an image of my husband and his "best friend" in bed together causes me to start crying. I can't stop the flow of tears, even if I want to. I let my heart ache and the tears fall freely from my eyes. My phone rings, but I am in no condition to talk to anyone. I let it ring and ring and ring. Whoever is on the other line keeps trying to get into contact with me. I put my phone on silent, not caring to take a look at the caller ID.

The baby kicks me and becomes restless. I try to calm down, but it's impossible. It's the middle of the day, but I manage to cry myself to sleep. When I wake up, I look at my phone for missed calls and messages, out of habit.

When I see Ayden has texted at least 50 times and called 80 times, I stop to think. 'Should I peak the messages he sent?'

Unable to keep my curiosity at bay, I read the messages. They say about the same thing.

'Where are you?'

'Are you okay?'

'Why are you not answering me?'

'What is wrong?'

'I love you, just remember that...'

When I read that message, my heart feels like it is being squeezed. I find it hard to breathe for a moment. Fresh tears come to my eyes. I want to respond, 'Except when you are drunk. Other women appeal more to you then', but I don't. I toss my phone away and curl into a ball under the covers. I think about how I kicked him out of his house, and I realize that's not fair, especially since I don't plan on staying there any longer.

I send him one text. 'You can go back to the house.' I roll over onto my other side and whisper, "It's just me and you. We will be fine." to the baby.

I jump when my phone vibrates. I pick it up with trembling fingers.

'You're okay! Thank God! I was so worried! I'm coming home right now. I'm so sorry I upset you and I'll make it up to you any way I can! I love you.'

"Liar," I hiss through my teeth, needing to say it. I still love him, I know, but I can't go running back into his arms after what he did.

'Maybe you should hear his side of the story,' my conscious whispers in my head.

I ignore it, sure I should just stay here for a few days then go to a different hotel. I know I shouldn't stay in one place too long.

I manage to stay hidden from everyone for almost a week. I hardly text anyone and I only pay for my room in cash. One day, I am laying on the bed deleting all my new text messages from Ayden when my bedroom door opens. I jerk up and see the very man I have been avoiding standing in the doorway.Ayden wastes no time crossing the room and pulling me up into a hug. I remain stiff in his embrace.

"How did you find me?" I ask in a voice barely above a whisper.

"I asked the person at the desk if you were here. She said yes and gave me a key. I'm so glad to see you," he rushes to say.

I wiggle my way out of his arms. "Ayden-"

"Why aren't you at home? Why aren't you answering your phone? What is going on?" Ayden asks, worry etched on his face.

"I caught you in bed with Cora!" I exclaim, aggravated that he'd have the nerve to ask as if he didn't already know.

Realization dawned on Ayden's face. "No, it wasn't like that. You had kicked me out and I was needing a place to crash. I told her, crying mind you, that I was kicked out and that I had made you mad. We fell asleep as she was explaining it was probably just the hormones and that you wouldn't be angry tomorrow." Ayden clarifies.

I absorb what he is saying and could see why he wouldn't go to a guy to talk to about that. I bent my head, embarrassment coloring my cheeks. "I'm sorry I didn't let you explain. I was just hurt when I saw you two in bed together. You were drunk the night before, and I assumed the worst had happened."

"I can understand. Can we please go home? I've missed you like crazy." Ayden says, stepping closer to me and hugging me once again.

I hug him back and nuzzle my head in his chest. "I know it's only been almost six days, but I missed you like crazy too." I admit.

We kiss as we are still embracing one another. Our kiss abruptly stops when I feel the baby kick. Ayden felt it, so he puts his hands on my very large stomach and waits for the baby to do it again. When he feels a kick against his hand, he laughs and gets on his knees to kiss my stomach.

"I missed you too, little guy." Ayden says to my stomach.

I giggle as I watch him. He stands up and heads to my suitcase, packs what little was unpacked, and zips it up. He wraps his arm around me as best as he can, and we leave the hotel room to go home.