Chapter Twenty-Eight

I force myself to stay awake until I know if the baby is healthy or not. Dr. Bell whisks my baby away to be cleaned after Ayden cuts the cord. He was aloud to go watch them, but he decided to stay with me.

I cast him a worried look. "Ayden, our baby looked healthy right?" I whisper.

"Yes, very healthy." He kisses the top of my sweaty head. "You shouldn't worry so much. You'll make yourself sick."

I playfully glare at him, knowing he is right. Soon Dr. Bell comes back in the room, a bundle of blankets in her arms.

"Ready to hold your child for the first time?" Dr. Bell softly asks me.

I nod my head and reach for the bundle. "Doctor, could you find any health issues from being born prematurely?" I whisper, not wanting to wake the sleeping baby.

"No, you don't have to worry any more."

I smile as a thank you and glance at Ayden before I let my eyes rest on the perfect face of my sleeping child.

"The doctor left before she could tell you that our baby is a little princess." Ayden murmurs in my ear. I could feel my smile grow bigger. I gently move over some so that Ayden can squeeze onto the bed. He does and we cuddle together admiring our beautiful little girl.

"What shall we name her?" I ask Ayden, looking up at him.

"I like the name Marissa," Ayden replies, his head resting on my shoulder.

"I always wanted a little girl with the name Ivy. What about Ivy Marissa Knight?"

Ayden smiles and kisses my cheek. I lean against him and my lids start to droop against my will. Ayden softly whispers, "Get some rest. I'll let the doctor know we have decided on a name and get the birth certificate ready for us to sign."

I let Ayden get out of bed and he carefully takes Ivy from me. He sets her in the bassinet the hospital provided for her. I lean back against the comfy pillows and let sleep take me.

When I wake up, I see Ayden slowly pacing the floors, Ivy in his arms. He rocks her gently and kisses her forehead.

I just watch, not wanting to break the sweet moment. It didn't matter, a second later, our friends and family flooded into the room. I wanted them to leave, but I wasn't going to be rude. I sit up more in bed to let them know I wasn't asleep.

"Is it a boy or a girl?" Mrs. Knight asks.

"Ivy is a girl," Ayden answers as quietly as he can. He searches around the room for someone to hand her off to so that she can sleep. His eyes land on me.

He comes over to the bed and hands her to me. "Sorry if they woke you."

I shake my head to let him know they didn't. I watch Ayden return to the crowd.

"She weighed 7 pounds and 14 ounces. Ivy Marissa Knight is her name, and she was born at 2:00." Ayden says, answering each question he heard.

Haven comes over to my bedside. "How are you?"

"Tired, but not too much, and overall really happy."

"I can imagine so."

"How are you and Jake? You two seem to be okay, but appearances are just that, appearances."

"Well, ever since he found out I could have been pregnant, Jake has been talking about actually getting married."

"You sound like that isn't a good thing."

"I just don't want him to marry me because he feels like it's necessary, even though I'm not pregnant."

"Ask him the real reason he wants to marry you."

"I will, but it won't be an easy conversation."

"I know. Not all marriages can be arranged," I laugh.Haven smiles and asks to hold Ivy. I am about to hand her over, when Ivy wakes up an starts crying. 

"Okay, so now I have no idea what to do." I say looking up at Haven.

"Don't look at me. I'm not the one who has had a baby."

"You are the one who can pull my mother aside."

"Too late, I think they are all coming over here." Haven says, looking at the group.

I try rocking the crying infant back to sleep, but that doesn't work. By then my mother has scooped Ivy out of my arms.

"Have you fed her?"

"No, she's been asleep pretty much this whole time."

"She's hungry than. Everyone out. That includes you Ayden."

"Mother, I am sure it is okay if Ayden stays." I argue.

"Not this time."

I sigh, too tired to fight her. She helps me properly nurse Ivy and then she starts tidying up the place.

"Mother, you can leave that stuff alone. We will pick it up when we leave."

My mother ignores me and keeps cleaning. I finish nursing and then let everyone in once I'm decent again.

"Why couldn't I have stayed in here?" Ayden asks.

"I don't know, my mother doesn't make sense most of the time," I laugh.

He agrees and grabs the birth certificate. We sign it and the doctor comes by to see how everything is going.

"Great," I tell her.

She smiles and take the certificate from Ayden. "I'll come back when there is less company if you would like?"

"Please, I'm sorry."

"I understand," Dr. Bell smiles.

Everyone leaves a few hours later, except Haven. She offers to stay and help any way she can.

"Thanks. I'll be sure to remind of those words when I call you at twelve o' clock at night to help me with Ivy."

Haven shakes her head and says, "I knew that was going to backfire on me."

I laugh and get Ivy wrapped up in her blanket again. "Want to hold her Haven?"Haven nods and gently takes Ivy from me.