Chapter 33: Surprises

this is somewhat long. hehe. i think. lol.

read the notes at the end please. 

I had never seen anyone look so horrified in my whole life, and that included my mom's face after I blew up the bouncy house at our family reunion with a bottle rocket. At the age of six. I know, I'm beast.

"Oh my gosh, Jason, I'm so sorry!" she yelped, clapping her hands over her mouth. "It's fine," I reassured her, standing and stripping my shirt from my body. "Do you feel okay?" She nodded, wincing slightly, rubbing her temple.  "Good." I gave her a smile and stripped down to my boxers, lifting her out of bed and setting her in the bean bag in the corner of her room. She flinched and curled up miserably, hugging her stomach.

My thoughts started wandering as I stripped the bed and drug the sheets, comforters, and pillows to the laundry room.  I was trying to think of what was wrong with her, but the only thing that seeped into my shallow, teenage male mind was one word.

Baby.

I gulped and hit Start on the washer, fear penetrating my gut. No, there was no way she was pregnant. She said she was on the pill, that's why I didn't use a condom. Crap, crap, crap. Birth control was only so and so % effective. Crap this. My girlfriend was pregnant with my baby.

"Hey, bab- I mean, honey," I said, plastering a fake grin on my face as I walked back in the room. "Hi," she mumbled, ducking her head into her shoulder and shaking.  "Um, can I ask you a question?" She lifted her face and gave me an ‘I-love-you-but-just-shut-up' look before giving me a soft, "Sure. Anything." "It's kind of personal." "Just ask me the f-ing question, Jason."

"When was the last time you had your period?"

Her mouth popped open and she stared at me, her tired brown eyes wide as saucers. "Why does it matter to you?" "Because-because I was just wondering." "I'm not telling you." "Please, Jules. I gotta know." "Jason-," "It's really important. Like, like changingly important." "Jason-," "I know it's personal, but I need to know. You trust me enough for stuff like that, right?" "Jason-," "I mean," "JASON!" "Yeah?"

"I'm not pregnant!" The words hung in the air a second, stilled and awkward.

I cleared my throat and rubbed the back of my neck, scraping my foot against her floor. "Well, uh, I. Erm. That's, um, good."  She didn't say anything and buried her face into the plush navy blue of her bean bag. "I have the flu," she mumbled miserably. "I told you I was on birth control. Didn't you believe me?" "Of course I believed you," I said, walking over and sitting by her feet, rubbing slow circles on her pale ankles.  "It's just all those birth control commercials say their product is only, like, 90% effective, so I didn't know..."

She settled deeper into the chair and closed her eyes, a signal for me to shut my mouth and let her rest. But I couldn't let but allow one more question escape my lips.

"Do you need a blanket?" She nodded. "They're in the cupboard in the-," a couching storm took over her throat, cutting off her words and shaking her entire body, the deep hack resounding in her throat and making me wince. "Hallway," she croaked.  I nodded and stood, kissing her cheek.

"Here you go, babes," I said, fluffing out the big furry blue blanket and folding it over her body. She whimpered and hugged it to her, shaking like crazy. I wanted to do nothing but slip under that blanket and massage away her pain, make her feel better, but I kind of needed to take a shower.

"Jules?" I asked softly, moving her hair away from her pale face. "Down the hall to your left, turn the knob to the left for hot water." "Oh, okay." I kissed her cheek again and let her to sleep.