chapter 4

Chapter 3

I took a deep breath sitting back down behind my desk. I needed to call Alexis.

“Dad, I mean Eth, I mean Ki-” I laughed, this not the first time she accidentally called me dad, I have been the father figure in her life since she was five. And now, she had no clue what to call me.

“Whatever you feel comfortable with, sweetie.” I chuckled softly. It was great to hear her voice. It‘s been years since I’ve gone this long without hearing her. “Are you okay?” I turned serious.

“I am now.”

“I was fine the whole time. You don’t need to worry about me.” I said trying to reassure her. I had a feeling tell them why they were leaving was a bad idea. I should have just let them think they were going for a visit. “Is Michael okay?”

“You wanna talk to him?”

“Yes, but wait. Alexis, you are like, princess and Michael is like, prince.” I said mimicking her ditsy dialect that she picks up when she’s excited or mad.

“Seriously, like really!”

“Like, totally.” I laughed continuing to mock her.

“O.M.G. dad totally is like so uncool.”

“O.M.G.? Put your brother on.” I was done mimicking, we are into phrases I don’t care to learn. I am so grateful she doesn’t normally talk to me like that. Because when she and her ‘B.F.F’ Amanda start talking I’m completely clueless. This generation abbreviates everything. All I hear is a bunch of letters. However, I did learn what ‘Effing A’ and ‘F.U.’ means through Michael. She has learned the hard way I will not tolerate those. I can swear, her mother can swear, mostly because there is nothing I can do about it, but they can’t. I will not allow my princess or prince to make a habit of swearing, they are supposed to be role models. I have given up on the ditsy talk as long as she keeps it mostly to her friends.

“C.U.L.”

“What?” I was about to lose it.

“See you later,” She said snobby. This generation is not that dumb are they?

“See starts with an S. and you, starts with a Y. It should be S.Y.L.”

“Whatever, here.” I could hear her tossing the phone. I could picture her making a w with her fingers when she said that. If her friends did anything else stupid other than talking I would make her find a different group. Unfortunately, they’re all honor roll students and into sports.

“Yeah, wuz up?” So much for hello.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, just chillin here, playin video games. You cool?”

“I’m perfectly fine. Does King Dracula have any clue what the hell you two are saying?” This is not how I’ve raised these two to talk around their elders.

“He’s catchin on,” they are talking like that around him.

“Talk normal or else you two are will be grounded.” He huffed, when I say something will happen, it will.

“So I’m a prince.”

“Yes.”

“That is so wicked,” I cleared my throat as a warning. “I’m mean, neat. So if something happens to you, I take your place?”

“Are you planning on something happening to me?” I teased

“No, just curious.”

“Yes, let’s just hope nothing happens for a long time.” I smiled, not realizing this conversation with the two of them would turn out so interesting. “When you get back you and your sister are going to have to go through some kind of etiquette lessons.” I will now start taking them with me to meetings and such.