Chapter 5

Chapter 5

As we all rushed through the thick forest with Edna on my back and McKayla flying beside me, I couldn’t help but keep looking over to her. I couldn’t believe that within the hour she will be in my arms again. Ten years to a vampire is not a long time, unless the one you love is taken from you. Ten years can then seem like an eternity. Vampires don’t move on like humans, our love is undying. It is rare for us to find another. We only find soul mates. For some it happens right away, for me it took over a thousand years. I didn’t believe I had one, I didn’t believe they existed, until I found McKayla. We all traveled in silence. I knew McKayla was nervous, but she would do anything not to see those demons again. Jay, Serena and Brady were too excited beyond words. Edna was concentrating. I was excited and worried at the same time.

As we approached the cave I left her body in, we all hesitated at the entrance, before moving the boulder that I once used to locked her body and my heart in the cave with. We slowed our pace as we entered the dark cave to her body.

The smell of decay was strong.

“That’s disgusting,” McKayla whispered as we came to her body.

“McKayla, it’s your body,” I whispered back.

“I’m not laying on that.” She continued to argue. Her flesh was grey and mummified, her lips and nose were mostly gone. Her muscles were completely deteriorated.

“McKayla,” I said trying to convince her, only to be interrupted

“It’s disgusting!” She shouted

“I don’t really blame her,” Serena said in McKayla’s defense. I could have thrown her out for that comment, but I needed her there.

“King Ethan, you need to place the chain and locket around her neck.” Edna directed, carrying on with the process, ignoring McKayla and Serena.

I walked over hesitating to touch what I expected McKayla to lay on. It truly was disgusting. But I did it, trying not to show it.

“You need to wait for her first breath, than start feeding and injecting her with your blood.” Edna directed, signaling for McKayla to lie on the corpse.

“Can’t you do this some other way? This is so gross.” McKayla whined

“The body will change back to the original state it was in when you left it. You just have to lie down, my dear.” McKayla stood over the body, completely disgusted. “It will only take a few seconds for your spirit to stick. It will change instantly after that.”

“What’s the worse that could happen?” McKayla asked inching even closer to the corpse.

“Nothing will happen. You wouldn’t be the rare angel that I know you are. But give it a few minutes, before jumping up, my dear.” Edna’s confidence was a little too much.

“This is so disgusting,” She mumbled again delaying at her body. I could tell she was rethinking this over.

Without a second thought, I knew what to say, “Demons.”

Without warning, McKayla appeared on top of the corpse, quickly lying down. Within seconds, almost instantly, a blinding white light, illuminating from where she laid, lit up the cave. I heard the clinking of the syringes in the background as Jay pulled them out, “A little warning would have been nice.” Jay grumbled rushing to her body.

“She’s spontaneous.” I spoke shocked as the rest, moving blindly towards the light. The light began to die down and beyond it laid my McKayla just like the day I placed her in here.

“She’s not breathing,” I panicked. I desperately waited for her breath, but it didn’t seem to come.

“Just give it time,” Edna said growing impatient with everyone else’s eagerness.

I continued to distraughtly stare at her motionless body, full of anxiety, worry and panic. The remembrance of the last time I would wait for her to toss awake but she never did, continued to haunt me.

I sat down against the cave’s walls looking at my watch. It’s been almost an hour. I bowed my head in defeat. I have now lost McKayla in every form. I couldn’t live on without her at all. I glanced at my watch again. It’s been an hour and thirteen minutes. I sat there glancing at my watch in thought, maybe she breathed and we missed it, maybe she was only meant to live one more second, maybe- I heard a long deep inhale.

I jerked up, within one stride I was at McKayla‘s side slicing my wrist deeply with my fangs. I pried her mouth open placing my bloody wrist over her lips. Jay, Brady and Serena were frantically injecting her with my blood. Seconds felt like minutes as they passed, she needed to drink fast. She abruptly opened her eyes. I caught a glimpse of that emerald green color I so much cherished, before her eyes flashed to a dark ruby red and closed. I felt a sudden pulling from my veins as she began to drink. Before I knew it. I was on the floor with her in my lap, her tiny, delicate hands grasping my arm and hand as she continued to pull the blood from my wrist with force.

I was holding her again, touching her again, and feeling her warmth again. I watched as the locket on her chest raised up and down in sequence with her every breath, I felt whole for the first time in years.

My love, my angel, my creation, my queen, once again, belonged to me, except for this time, it is for all eternity.