147. Break the Silence

147. Break the Silence: Record yourself speaking, then write down what you spoke and revise into a short story or poem.

Every conversation she ever had with Ben Grant was recorded. She kept them all. She frequently listened to them, clinging onto his every word, straining for some new inflection, some new secret within the depths of his tones that had eluded her before. People were worried about her, but she neatly placed their concern outside of her door. It was there, but it would have to wait for her to open the door to be let in.

She did not love Ben Grant. She was not even sure if that was his name. Probably he was not even sure if that was his real name. No one knew who Ben Grant was, and that was how he liked it.

She didn't care for what Ben Grant liked. She was bent on finding out everything about what he did November 24, 2015. She wanted his every movement, his every action, his every thought. She wanted to strip Ben Grant bare.

She wanted to see him as he really was.

Eighteen times she had spoken with Ben Grant, in the week before Natalie died. Eighteen recorded conversations. Eighteen innocent exchanges. Eighteen audio files on her phone, listened to repeatedly. They were labeled according to how he greeted her. It varied each time. She should have slapped him while she could. Or maybe she should have kissed him.

But that was silly to think about. Ben Grant was gone. That was a given. He had disappeared. Not in the way Natalie had... but he wasn't coming back. She had made sure of that.

The play button stared at her. How many times had Ben Grant's voice spoken to her through these messages? She didn't know.

She took a deep breath and pressed play, not knowing it would be the last time she ever did.

A/N: Thriller? I don't know, I thought an experiment was in order!