|3| The Best Defense is to Kill

|First Person POV|

The elevator chimed; I had arrived at the 150th floor

The elevator chimed; I had arrived at the 150th floor. I was startled to see that Hisoka was waiting in the lobby, trying to build a deck of cards. A mischievous thought tugged at my mind, and my lips followed into a grin.

I snuck behind him and with a deft kick at the air, blew his castle into ruins. I blinked, and realized that Hisoka had caught my foot with his right hand. He turned around to face me with the most self-satisfied expression I had ever seen.

"It's rude to destroy other's hard work, you know."

I narrowed my eyes - this guy was seriously annoying; who does he think he is, telling me what not to do? I pressed down on his palm with the heel of my foot and he released it. I kicked upwards and as I did so, flexed my big toe so that a hidden dagger burst out from the tip of my boots. There, now we have matching scars.

I flipped in mid-air and landed a few feet back; the blade was safely tucked away and I gave him an innocent smile.

"Sorry~"

The look he gave me was so utterly disgusting that I do not dare to describe it; someone like him... might just be crazy enough to do it. I stepped forwards a bit and inspected him. He was buff, but in an overtly lean way - His eyes leered dangerously, but there was a malicious glint in there that screamed strength. I didn't doubt that his nen was beyond adequate - they wouldn't have promoted him to the 150th floor if it wasn't.

Was he the one I was waiting for? Could he really defeat the floor masters - and more importantly, could he defeat me? I shook my head as I backed away from him, a low chuckle resounding in my throat.

There's no hope - someone like him wouldn't be interested in saving me for the sake of being a honorable knight. I leaned back against the wall and flickered my attention to the list of matches on the television nearby - I had a fight coming up in a few moments.

"So, what are you here for?" I lured his gaze over. "Money, fame, love?"

His lips turned up in a smile as he walked closer. "What do you think?"

I thought about it. "Must be fame then, you seem like an exhibitionist."

He threw his head back and let out a stream of laughter - after that died down, he glanced at me with narrowed eyes and smiled. "I was bored, so I decided to fight the Empress."

"The who now?" I said, playing dumb. I had a feeling that he knew I was not being truthful, but I was curious to see his reaction.

"The Empress, they say that she's never lost a battle." His eyes twinkled with a devious light. "I plan to change that."

"What makes you think you can beat her?" I asked, raising my eyebrows skeptically. "I mean, you certainly look far too weak..." I goaded on.

To my taunts, Hisoka merely chuckled. "Why don't you stay for a match, see how strong I really am?"

I was about to reply when the intercoms buzzed and announced my match; I turned towards him and chuckled. "How about you watch mine? I'll have you know that I too, plan on fighting this Empress."

His lips stayed in that curled position as he walked alongside me. "Do you now?"

"Yep. I bet I can beat her before you." I smirked - and silently screamed at him to take the bait.

"Challenge accepted..." Hisoka said with a slow grin. He pressed a card against his lips and blew a kiss towards me. I merely smiled in response.

Hook, line, and sinker. I got Hisoka exactly where I wanted him - after all, it was a silly bet that landed me in this situation as well; but I was young and naive. My heart had been broken, and all I wanted to do was not feel the pain - so I fought and I clawed my way towards the top of Heaven's Arena.

I defeated everyone in my path, only to end up locked up in this place by a stupid contract that I had signed; it's hard to view the world clearly through heart-break, or else I never would've agreed to this.

The contract stated that so long as I remain undefeated, I would be the Empress; this also meant that whenever someone defeated five floor masters in a row, they'd have a chance to challenge me. The agency that governed Heaven's Arena also liked to put on exhibition matches between me and various deadly animals - for the rich, of course. That was also a part of the reason why the Empress is only a legend; no one has ever seen my true face. It's all business, really - the mystery of the girl locked up in the highest tower in the world draws challengers, and challengers bring money.

I sighed; The match before me was about to start. I straightened my back and walked forwards to meet my opponent. Just before the match started, I glanced back towards Hisoka - who was sitting dutifully in the audience - and gave him a wicked grin.

The second the referee signaled for the match to begin, I kicked off my right leg and blasted at my opponent - they never stood a chance; Unleashing ten times the power I had used on the first floor, I skidded below my opponent and gave his hefty stomach a kick, sending him skyward. As he fell - unconscious - I back flipped and used the force of my legs crashing down to send him flying out of the ring.

I turned around and gave Hisoka a wave, to find that he was indeed studying me with a different gaze. I grinned - my true power only emerges after floor 200, when I'll be allowed to use weapons.

|::|

"Delightful." Hisoka said in manner of greeting as I left the match room.

"Was it?" I asked, making my eyes go wide. "Do you think I'm stronger than you then?"

He laughed, and slid his room card across the card reader. "Don't presume to know anything about me - It'll be the end of you."

"Good night to you too." I mumbled as Hisoka closed his door.

|::|

too tired to write an A/N sorry.

here's preview for chapter 5 since i was too lazy to make chapter 4 for this week oops.

//my life is a literal mess lel

see you next time~!