eight

once jack and i got our yogurt at a nearby froyo parlour, we sat up on the bar chairs by the window.

"right, so spill" i said to jack, before eating off a strawberry from my cup.

"okay, the only reason that i acted how i did the other day is only because i don't want you mixing with people from where i live. you'll only end up regretting it".

i questioningly bit down on my bottom lip, "so are you saying that i'll regret mixing with you?".

"probably" jack shrugged, staring down at his froyo, then looked back up. "but i'd prefer if you took the chance".

"well, can you at least tell me why i might regret any of this?".

"that's more of a fifth date type of conversation".

i raised my eyebrows with my mouth slightly full, "so you're implying that this is a date?".

"are you shocked? because i'm sorry if it's not as fancy as you're used to" jack chuckled.

i used my spoon to swirl around the froyo in my cup, "yeah, well fancy isn't always as incredible as everyone makes out. i'd rather have a four dollar in and out meal than a six hundred dollar side of caviar any day".

jack almost chocked on the food in his mouth and patted his chest, "you pay six hundred dollars for fish eggs?".

"not me, my parents. they're more of a go big or go home type" i shrugged, just before jack's phone began ringing in his pocket.

he lifted himself up from the chair a little, taking it out of his pocket before he stared at the caller id.

i watched his expression switch as i wondered why he wasn't answering like last time. he uneasily cleared his throat then stuffed the phone back in his pocket.

i decided to leave out the questioning of why he didn't answer, and resulted into trying to get to know him better.

"what about your family? i mean, you've met mine countless of times, and i've only met your dad once" i told him and he chuckled briefly.

"well, that's all there is - my dad and i, and there's not much to say about us" jack answered.

i licked my lips as i tried to find another question to ask.

"okay then, what about you? how comes you dropped out of school at sixteen?" i wondered, bringing my right leg over my left.

"because it bore me" he simply responded.

"jack, i'm not buying that, because—".

before i could finish my sentence, the iphone ringtone interrupted me. jack took held of his phone once again, but this time pressed declined and switched it to silent.

okay, that's it. i need to know what is going on with him and this caller.

"jack, i have a question" i said and he lifted his head up.

"why does your phone always ring, but you never answer? because if it's some girlfriend that don't want me to know about it, you might as well just tell me because i hate when guys-"