twenty-seven

siena's pov

i settled down on the bed, signalling that jack has my attention. he sat beside me but i moved up one since i wasn't as comfortable being that close to him anymore.

"okay, so you know how i told you that i dropped out of school when i was 16?" jack began.

"yes, why?".

"that was because i met leon and i ended up working for him" he explained. "...selling drugs".

i started shaking my head, "no, i can't. i'm not doing this".

i stood up to leave the room, but jack took held of my wrist, causing me to look back at him.

"please" he begged me. i sighed at his pleading face and settled back down with my arms tightly folded.

"me and a few other guys would supply the drugs to clients, give the money to leon and the extras would go to us" he said. "but one time, i supplied drugs that weren't exactly pure. i didn't know but these two guys got angry, like angrier than i thought they would. apparently they've had beef with leon before. so anyways, they decided to take it all out on me and one night, they came into my house".

i kept my eyes on my hands, that were settled on my lap as i continued to listen.

"it was me, my dad...and my little sister" jack added.

i frowned, "sister? you don't even have a sister".

"i did have a sister. her name was allison, she was about seven at the time like isabella" he informed. "the two guys attacked me and my dad whilst raiding our house for anything they could gain money from".

i finally looked into jack's eyes, feeling that i needed to when i heard his voice crack a little.

"i was lying at the bottom of the stairs after being beaten repeatedly and allison woke up at the noise. she was at the top crying when she saw the state i was in and i just remember how one of the guys looked at me. i knew that he was going to do something but i was too late, he pushed her".

jack took in a small breathe between his words, clearly trying to hide away his cries from me.

"he pushed her and she fell right down to where i was and...and there was just blood everywhere, siena" he spoke with his eyes glistening with tears.

but it wasn't until i felt something wet drop against my wrist that i realised i was crying too.

"i remember holding her and trying to make it stop, but she died in my arms" jack told. "a week or so after allison's funeral, i couldn't take it anymore. i wanted to kill the bastards who killed my sister. i mean, i couldn't go to the police, so i took matter into my own hands and did it".

i used my fingers to wipe my eyes and sniffed whilst a budding question repeated itself in my head.

"how?" i whispered. "how did you kill them?".

"does it matter?".

"yes" i replied. "yes to me, it does".

he held back any further words, pulling his hands down his face to stall.

"jack, just tell me" sternly, i demanded.

"...arson".

i covered my mouth as my voice cracked with disbelief, "oh my god".

"but it wasn't as if the whole house was on fire. it was just the living room and—".

"that doesn't make it any better!".