Chapter eleven

Chapter Eleven:

Kate had asked Jonathan if he had wanted to go for lunch with her at Mathew’s. He said that he had nothing to do so he would go with her.

Kate and Jonathan got ready and met up in the lobby. Kate had her hair down and was wearing a skirt, something Jonathan hadn’t seen before.

‘’ready to go?’’ she asked him, he nodded and they both sat in his car, she guided him with the directions.

‘’where were you yesterday? You were gone when I woke up.’’ Jonathan asked.

‘’oh I had to go to work for a mission.’’ She replied.

‘’ah!’’ he said turning into the lane Mathew lived in. Kate pointed to the apartment building and Jonathan stopped his car in the parking lot.

They both walked into the building silently, the receptionist waved at Kate.

‘’you come here often?’’ Jonathan asked when they loaded the elevator.

‘’yeah, I used to babysit for Mathew.’’ She said as she pressed the button.

She knocked on the door to his apartment and Mathew opened the door. He hugged her and greeted Jonathan.

‘’it’s an honour to meet you, Jonathan!’’ Mathew said, he was wearing an apron over his clothes.

‘’likewise’’ Jonathan said smiling at him and giving him a firm handshake.

‘’Gina, Katherine is here!’’ Mathew said loud enough for Gina to hear.

He led them into the living room, Benjamin, Mathew’s six year old was sitting in the corner playing with his toys. Mathew left them and went to check the food.

‘’Benny boy!’’ Kate said to the little boy, who, upon hearing her voice dropped the toys and ran towards her.

‘’Kate! You came to see me!’’ He said as they hugged.

‘’of course I did, Benny! I’ve missed you!’’ She said smiling into his hair.

When Benjamin saw Jonathan he hid behind Kate. Kate let out a laugh and said; ‘’Benny, its fine. This is Jonathan, he’s my friend.’’ Kate grabbed Jonathan’s hand as if to show the boy that Jonathan was not danger. Benjamin peaked from behind her and said hi, which was barely heard by anyone.

‘’Hello there, Benjamin!’’ Jonathan said crouching down next to Kate. ‘’I see that you like transformers, I bet you’re going to like this!’’ Jonathan reached inside his pocket and took out a yellow bumblebee from his pocket.

‘’whoa! You carry it with you?’’ Benjamin asked, his eyes dancing with awe.

‘’yeah, bumblebee here helps me when I’m scared.’’ He said handing it to him. ‘’ you can play with it while I’m here.’’

‘’thank you!’’ Benjamin smiled and ran back to his toys.

‘’you carry a toy with you?’’ Kate asked smiling at him.

‘’yes! I’ve had it since I was a child and it really does help me when I’m nervous or need to be calmed. It’s much like your necklace!’’ Kate’s head shot up.

‘’How did you-‘’ before Kate could continue Gina walked in holding the baby girl.

‘’Katherine!’’ Gina exclaimed and they hugged, all while trying not to squish the baby.

‘’I have missed you so much!’’ Kate said when they calmed down.

‘’that’s not true, if you had missed me, you would have visited. But alas you came! And that’s all that matters!’’ she smiled at her.

Jonathan shifted from one foot to the other. ‘’oh, Gina this is Jonathan, and Jonathan this is Gina!’’

‘’it’s nice to meet you! I voted for your dad!’’ Gina joked as they sat down.

Kate extended her arms to take the baby in her arms. Mary was beautiful! She had her father blue eyes and her smile was like her mother.

‘’oh Gina, she’s beautiful!’’ Kate gushed.

‘’I’m in love with her!’’ Mathew said entering the living room.

‘’I’m sure you are!’’

‘’okay, so lunch is ready!’’ Mathew said grabbing Benjamin and taking him to the kitchen.

All of them followed him and Gina took Mary and laid her down in the bouncer.

‘’so I heard you are going to college.’’ Gina said.

‘’oh yes! Jonathan and I go together!’’

‘’that’s great! I’m really happy for you!’’

All of them chatted easily while having lunch, Benjamin and Jonathan were already friends.

‘’Mathew! This is delicious! Thank you so much!’’ Kate said eating her last bite!

Once everyone was done, Mathew cleared the table with the help of Kate.

They stacked the plates near the sink. Mathew stopped her and asked; ‘’ I didn’t ask yesterday, but are you okay? With Victor and all?’’

Kate paused and said, ‘’yeah, I guess I’m fine. I haven’t given it much thought. All I know is that I feel free!’’ Before Mathew could say anything, Mary started to cry.

Gina tried to calm her down but it wasn’t working. “Here, give her to me. I’ll try something.’’ Gina handed Kate the baby.

Kate laid Mary’s head on her chest and rests her chin on her head. She swayed back and forth and began to hum. Within minutes Mary calmed down.

Gina gave her a bewildered look ‘’I’ll give you a job! And pay you more than you’re being paid now!’’

‘’ah, honey, that’s not a good idea! She earns more than me!’’Mathew said.

‘’hey! That’s not true! I just don’t spend it anywhere!’’ Kate said softly.

‘’that sucks!’’ Gina said, ‘’you are like a baby whisperer!’’

‘’I just have a connection with Mary!’’ Kate said looking at the baby’s head.

‘’yeah you do! I hope that remains!’’ Mathew said.

They stayed till six in the evening and chatted. The new parents got to know Jonathan and they both noticed the way Jonathan watched Kate. He noticed her movements with a small smile on his face and Katherine was completely oblivious to it!

As Kate and Jonathan drove back, Jonathan’s thoughts were surrounding him. He had gotten to know the different part of Kate and he knew he had wanted to know more. He barely knew anything about her and he was going to try to find out more!