Chapter fourteen

Chapter fourteen:

David and Illyria insisted Kate on staying until their university started again, two weeks were already over and they had another week to go.

Since Kate would be returning to an empty apartment, she agreed. Plus she didn’t want to be away from Jonathan.

It was about four days since the dinner at the palace, and Kate and Jonathan had been spending their days either at the house with Anna and Aurora or they would go into town and spend countless hours there.

All four of them were sitting by the pool, with soft music playing in the background. Aurora and Kate were sitting with their legs dipped in the water while Anna and Jonathan were playing with the beach ball.

Kate’s phone rang and when she saw the caller ID, she stood up.

‘’Katherine Stronghold!’’ Answered Kate, her hands resting on her waist.

‘’Katherine, it’s Valerie, you have to come in.’’ Her voice sounded urgent and needy.

‘’I’m on my way!’’ with that Kate grabbed her shirt and towel from off the beach lounger and slipped on her flip flops.

‘’guys, I’m sorry. I have to go!’’ without turning to look back she ran to her and changed into her jeans. Grabbing her gun and stuffing it in her jeans she ran down.

‘’Jonathan, can I borrow your car?’’ Kate asked impatiently. Jonathan looked up and sensed her urgency.

‘’of course. The keys are on the rack.’’ He said and Kate muttered a thank you and ran for it.

She drove to the base as fast as she could. When she exited the elevator and got off before the doors had been opened fully. The lights at the base were off which made Kate’s heart pound. This had never happened before. She changed her stance and slowly took her gun out.

Trusting her instincts she slowly made her way to anywhere her feet took her. She could’ve yelled but she didn’t want to end up like those cheap horror movies where the girl asks if anyone is there and ends up dead.

If she wasn’t in this situation she would have laughed at her thought but right now she was a little preoccupied.

Somehow she reached the door to an office, which she guessed was Valerie’s because she felt familiar under her hand. She pushed it opened and suddenly everyone jumped from behind the desk and yelled surprise.

She jumped a mile and was about to shoot. Resting a hand on her heart, she huffed. Everyone from her team laughed at her.

‘’did you guys want to die?’’ Kate asked after her heart had calmed down.

‘’of course not, which is why there aren’t any bullets in your gun.’’ Valerie said. Kate took out the magazine and noticed that it was indeed empty.

‘’but how?’’ she asked.

‘’we had sources!’’ Mathew stepped forward. Her mind went to Jonathan! She was going to get him for this.

‘’well, happy birthday kid!’’ they all wished her. She smiled brightly, with all the events at the Cooper household, she forgot her birthday!

‘’than you guys!’’ she said wiping her filled eyes.

‘Ah! Guys look! Katherine cries!’’ Nathan said fake gasping, that earned him a punch from Kate.

‘’ow! Guys, don’t tease her, she hits like a guy!’’ Nathan joked but hugged her.

‘’happy birthday!’’

She went around while everyone wished her. On the table there lay a cake, it said ‘happy birthday, Kate’ on it. She smiled at it.