Chapter fifteen

Chapter fifteen:

Jonathan helped Kate out of the car, they were at the beach because there was one time when Kate had told Jane that she loved the beach at night, and obviously Jonathan was eavesdropping.

‘’how did you know?’’ she asked excitedly.

‘’well I have my ways.’’

She stopped and gave him a suspicious look, ‘’do you listen in on my conversations?’’

‘’is that a trick question?’’ she laughed and continued walking but stopped again when she remembered something.

‘’what did I do now?’’ Jonathan asked wincing; she smacked him in the arm.

‘’that’s for touching my gun!’’ she glared at him teasingly.

‘’oh well, I deserve that.’’  He said matter-of-factly but they continued walking.

‘’don’t do it again, or I’ll have to shoot you with the same gun.’’ She replied in the same matter-of-factly tone.

It was Jonathan’s time to stop walking which made Kate laugh. ‘’you’re not serious, are you?’’ he asked sounding scared.

‘’of course not!’’ she said laughing; she grabbed him hand and pulled him forward to make him walk.

‘’don’t scare me like that!’’ he exclaimed. Kate burst out laughing.

‘’I’m sorry, that was just hilarious!’’ she said in between laughter.

‘’yeah yeah, laugh all you want, I’ll get back to you!’’ he said as they walked toward the shore.

As they reached near the shore Kate took her shoes off and dipped her feet in the water and stood there with her eyes closed.

‘’how do you do that?’’ she heard Jonathan ask when he was next to her, his jeans were pulled above his ankles.

‘’how do I do what?’’ she asked.

‘’make something so simple look so beautiful!’’

‘’what do you mean?’’ she asked turning her head and looking at him.

‘’you standing here in the water with your eyes closed. It’s a simple thing but you make it look beautiful, in the sense that to anyone standing afar it looks like you standing there with your eyes closed shows how you enjoy the sound of the overlapping water and the feel of it on your toes. How do you do that?’’ he asked, Kate was taken by surprise, but smiled at him.

‘’I don’t know, maybe I just enjoy the everyday life, I enjoy what life brings for me.’’

‘’I want to know how?’’

‘’I don’t know, I mean, I’ve done it as long as I can remember, but maybe the first step is to let go.’’

Jonathan closed his eyes and tried his best to let go of what was on his mind, he concentrated on the way the water felt on his feet, or how the breeze blew around them or how the way the shore was talking to them.

‘’ah!’’ he said smiling brightly.

‘’you felt it?’’ she asked him turning entirely to face him.

‘’I think so, all I know is that it took my breath away.’’

‘’that’s it!’’ she turned around and walked back to the shore and sat down on the sand.

They sat there; the sound of overlapping waves mixed with the soft playing of music from their right side surrounded them.

‘’the queen invited me tomorrow.’’ Kate stated after a while.