Chapter twenty one

Chapter twenty one:

The day was finally here when she could leave the hospital. She was cleaned and dressed. Her bandage was off as well and she needed to get outside of the hospital walls. She sat on the bed wearing clothes brought by her mother.

She had on a teal coloured skirt with a white button down blouse. She was nervously pulling at her shirt because she had yet to face the cameras as she got out.

Jonathan came up behind her and grabbed her bags, ‘’ready to go?’’ he asked, lifting her chin with his finger.

‘’no!’’ she said.

‘’what do you mean, no?’’ he asked, looking at her.

‘’it’s just I’m not ready to face them yet.’’ Without her explaining what she meant he understood. He put down the bags and shrugged his jacket off.

‘’they haven’t seen you yet, so it’s not a problem.’’ He said grabbing her by her waist.

‘’so I can walk out and no one question anything?’’ she asked, resting her hands on his chest.

‘’of course they, don’t you remember, you’re the girl with cherry blossom tattoo.’’ He joked.

‘’so what do we do?’’ she asked.

‘’we let your parents go, and we leave after the media’s gone!’’

‘’won’t they question as to why I’m not there, or well the princess isn’t there?’’ she asked resting her head in the crock of his neck.

‘’that’s where Anna comes in, she’s dressed in a big jacket and has her face hidden.’’

‘’she’s fine with doing that?’’

‘’she is!’’

Kate nodded and pulled back. ‘’thank you!’’

‘’anytime, Katie!’’ he said smiling at her.

Ten minutes later, Demetri walked into the hospital room. ‘’coast is clear.’’ He said in a hushed tone.

‘’let’s go!’’ Jonathan said grabbing Kate’s bags from the floor and grabbing her hand with his free hand.

It was around midnight and Kate was sitting on the sofa in her chambers. Her room was huge, with its own sitting area and a walk in closet.

For some odd reason sleep evaded her. She slipped on her Uggs and walked out of the room. Since she was still new to the palace she didn’t know where everything was.

She walked down several halls and ended up in the kitchen which was empty. She looked around for a glass and poured herself something to drink.

A door opened and in walked a palace worker. She saw Kate sitting on the counter and bowed.

 ‘’sorry your highness, I didn’t know you were here!’’ she apologised profusely making Kate rather uncomfortable.

‘’oh it’s alright, what’s your name?’’ she asked her.

‘’my name is Eva, your highness.’’

‘’Eva, please don’t curtsy and call me Kate!’’ she said smiling at her making Eva look at her in disbelief. Kate let out a chuckle.

‘’it’s alright, you can get what you wanted and pretend I’m not here!’’ she said to her while taking a sip from her glass.

Eva nodded and was about to curtsy when she saw Kate give her look, nodding her head she walked over to the sink and got what she needed.

Kate jumped of the counter the same time her phone rang, it was Jonathan.

‘’hey you!’’ she said smiling at nothing in particular.

‘’hey, I hope I didn’t wake you.’’ He said sounding worried.

‘’you didn’t, I couldn’t sleep anyway.’’

‘’what are you doing now?’’

‘’I’m in the kitchen, making friends with Eva!’’ she said winking at Eva. Kate bid Eva good night and walked down the halls back to her room.

She stayed on call with Jonathan until she fell asleep.

                                                         ***

Jonathan walked into the empty apartment and looked around. He switched on the lights. It was so different without Kate there. He walked into her bedroom and stood by the door looking in.

Everything was going to change now; he felt it in his gut. He shook his head and cleared his head.

He carried his bag to his room and went to take a shower. When he emerged from the bathroom he stood in front of the floor length mirror in his closet.

He had a burn scar running along his chest and shuddered at the memory, he may have told Kate everything but he and Anna promised each other that they were going to tell Katie about what Victor did to Jonathan.

He pulled on his boxers and laid down in his bed, sleep was something that hadn’t been coming to Jonathan easily. He had spent half the nights being up all night.

He grabbed his phone from the nightstand and called Katie; he let it ring for two minutes and decided to hang up.

‘’hey you!’’ her voice sounded against his ear making him smile. They talked, he didn’t know how long they talked for but somewhere while talking Kate asked him to sing to her, like he had when she was in the hospital.

Jonathan finished singing and realized that she had fallen asleep, he smiled against the phone and said, ‘’good night, Katie!’’ and hung up.