Chapter 1

*KAT*

Today is just like any other day. Get up, go to school, come home, make dinner for dad, and hide in my room the rest if the night. Today was my last day is senior year.

But ever since dad told me he got laid off I had to go out looking for a job. I got a job a week ago and I don't start until tomorrow.

I was sitting in my room when I heard the door slam closed. I have this feeling I forgot some-

"KAT!" my dad yelled. I ran down the stairs.

"Yes?" I said weakly.

"Where is my dinner?" he asked getting even more upset that I didn't already know why he was mad.

"What?"

"You heard me! Where is my dinner!?" he shouted.

"Dad, I-" shit, that's what I forgot.

"You what?" he yelled.

"Nothing," I said quietly, looking down.

"Nothing? That's all you have to say?" he yelled. He lifted his arm.

I closed my eyes and brought my arms up to block my face. I felt the impact on my forearm. I brought it down to examine it and he slapped me in the face. Hard. I laid on the floor while he repeatedly kicked me in my face and stomach.

When he finally stopped he left to go eat while I curled up into a ball on the kitchen floor. I forced myself up and ran out of the house ignoring the pain coming from my stomach and face.

I finally made it to the park. I sat on a bench and pulled my knees to my chest and began to cry silently. I felt somebody sit next to me, but I didn't care at the moment, I just scooted away from them.

I soon felt an uneasy feeling about the person next to me, so I stood up and walked away. I don't know where I was going, I just knew I wanted to get away from there.

I felt like someone was following me so I started full out running. I looked behind me, but there was no one there. At that moment I bumped into something hard and fell down.

I heard the person say something, but all I did was pull my knees to my chest and cry. It was about 9:30 at night so not many people were out.

The person bent down to my level and I realized it was a man with curly a hair and green eyes. I would have thought he was very good looking, if kit weren't for the situation I was in right now.

I covered my face with my hands, only for them to be pulled down so I was looking straight at the man. I cried harder and looked down.

"What's wrong?" the man asked. His voice was deep. It would have been soothing but all I wanted was to get away.

"Nothing," I said wiping my face and standing up. My legs weren't very sturdy because I had just ran, and the crying didn't help either, so I fell into his chest. He caught me before I could fall to the ground.

"You're sure you're all right?" he asked. I nodded my head but the tears running down my face told a different story.

I wiped the tears from my face and looked up at him. he was very good looking, but who was he?

"I'm Harry," he chuckled. Did I say that out loud?

"Yeah, you did." he said still smiling. Damn it.

"If you don't mind, what's your name?" he looked at me curiously.

"K-Kat," I answered.