Chapter 23

*KAT*

"What happened to your mum?"

That was one question I hoped he would've never asked. I mean I don't think he would judge me or anything because his dad did the same thing, but I just don't think I have the heart to tell him without breaking down or something.

"She left when I was nine," I said so quietly that I'm surprised he even heard it.

"It doesn't matter, I hate her. She was cheating on my dad for like two years and. Then got the courage to leave him out of nowhere," I said.

"Is that why you smashed her picture?" he asked walking up to me grabbing my hand. I nodded.

"It was my dad's picture. He wouldn't let her go and he blames me for her leaving. That's why he always hit me and tortured me,"

"Kat, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have made you answer that-"

"No, it's fine, really. You were going to have to know sooner or later," I let a few silent tears escape.

Honestly, I really did kind of miss my mum. I do hate her for leaving me, but she's my mum so I guess I can't really hate her all that much. When I was growing up and still had friends, they would come over to my house and I would always get asked about here my mum was. I always said she worked late because I was embarrassed that I didn't have a mum like everyone else.

My dad wasn't abusive yet, he just kind of stayed in bed all day or drank the pain away. He wasn't an alcoholic, he just drank a little. He was alright I guess, I wasn't best friends with him like most girls my age were at the time, but I didn't completely hate him yet. He did some things with me, like celebrate my birthday, take me out to eat, things like that, but I had to learn to ride a bike by one of my friends' dads.

I could pretty much do whatever I wanted, like I told Harry I would always go to the park early in the morning around 4 or 5. But that didn't start happening until I was older like 16, and my dad started abusing me. He's the reason I'm scared of most male figures. I'm always afraid they'll hurt me in some way.

That was pretty much when I started to lose all of my friends. I would show up with bruises and cuts all over. They didn't like to hang out with people like that so they just stopped talking to me. I grew up all alone so I'm sure that's why I never interact with people very well.

"Kat," I heard Harry say.

"Huh?"

"What just happened?"

"I don't- I don't know," I whispered.

"You look pale. I don't think you should be out, let's get you home," Harry said. I nodded.

I'm not surprised I don't look well because I felt sick to my stomach. I have no idea why, I didn't feel like this a couple of minutes ago.I tried to walk but my ankles felt weak and I fell into Harry. I was really dizzy as well.

"Harry, I'm dizzy," I say. He picked me up and carried me to his car.

We drove back, but it seemed like a century before we actually arrived. Harry carried me in and set me on the couch. He left to go get medicine. I was burning up. Harry came back with a cold cloth and put it on my forehead. I took some pills that made my stomach feel somewhat better. The pills I took didn't help my dizziness, it actually made it worse.Harry carried me up and put me in his bed.

"Go to sleep, you need rest," Harry said kissing my cheek. He turned off the light and shut the door. I closed my eyes.

***

I wake up unusually early. It was around 6 when I got up. My legs were unstable and my head was killing me. I grab the wall and made my way down to the living room where I found Harry sleeping. I went to the kitchen and sat down at the table and put my head down.

I pull my head up again and look out the window. I didn't look out for long because the sunlight was murdering me. I decide to get changed. Wait! When did I put this on? I'm wearing a big shirt that comes down to my mid thigh. I don't know, but my head hurts too bad to think about it.

I get changed into skinny jeans and one of Harry's hoodies. I look for an aspirin to take for my headache. I find a couple, take them, and walk back to the living room. Harry is still laying on the couch, but it looks like he's awake. I walk over and sit on the edge of the couch.

"Hey," I say.

"Hey, you feeling better?" he asks sitting up and rubbing my back. I nod.

"Yeah, just a bit of a headache,"

"Don't you have to work today?" I ask.

"No, I called in sick,"

"But you're not sick,"

"I'm not, but you are, and I'm not going to leave you here alone," I smile.

He pulls me into his lap and holds me tightly, rubbing my arm.

"Haven you eaten yet?" he asks.

"No, I'm not that hungry," I reply.

He stays quiet and turns on a movie. That's really all that happened today; that was until, the door burst open.