~Chapter thirty~

💤~🙈~💕
Oh, you like sleeping?
Me too!
Maybe we should do it together sometime.

-Unknown
💕~🙈~💤

"Baby girl, help me! I need you to help me." pleads the desperate voice of my Mother, only her sobs sound somewhat muffled, as if buried deep underground.

"How? Tell me how," I cry, desperately clawing at the branches blocking my already hazy vision. "Mom!"

I find myself in the depths of an overcrowded forest; all sense of direction long gone as tree after tree passes by. A bitter wind nips at my already freezing flesh and hefty raindrops splash against my skin in an unforgiving force; branding me completely drenched.

"You can't. It's too late, darling," soothes Aidan, suddenly appearing at my side. "Let go, Amelia. It's time to say goodbye."

"No!" I argue, by no means ready."No, I can't. Please don't make me, Aidan. Please don't."

With a tremendous start, I bolt up in my spacious double bed, crying and sweating from my dreadful nightmare, which seemed far too vivid to be considered 'normal'. My chest feels a tonne weight and my eyes, rough as sandpaper, yet nothing compares to the current ache taking place in the middle of my gut. I feel sick to the stomach with grief and sensing a severe panic attack ascending, I quickly close my eyes and begin the breathing exercises advised so by Google. Happy thoughts plays a huge part in this method, according to the self-help article and I instantly find myself thinking about Aidan, which would you believe it, does the trick. Within minutes I'm picturing his beautiful, smiling face and breathing normally again, much to my absolute relief.

1.58am.

With four hours left to kill before getting ready for school and sleep no longer an option, I contemplate calling Aidan but decide against it, not wanting to disturb his sleep. Besides, what can he possibly say that I don't already know? My Mom is dead and I'm not handling my grief appropriately.

Tell me something I don't know.

Releasing a long sigh, I slip out from underneath sweaty covers and make my way towards the communal bathroom. Seeing no point in prolonging the inevitable, I decide to take a shower in the hopes that it washes away some of these unwanted feelings, as doing so certainly beats the alternative.

Here's to hoping my plan works!

~~~~

With slightly swollen, bloodshot eyes, and a stomach full of knots, I force myself to walk towards where I know my locker is located and physically groan when I see Aidan and the others nearby; all chatting. Jess spots me first and looks visibly shocked at my, no doubt, less that pretty sight.

"Amelia, are you sick?" she asks, pulling on my arm in a somewhat concerned manner.

"No." I reply, dismissing her question all together.

After earlier's brutal wake up call, I'd spent the remainder of the morning with my face buried in a pillow, sobbing until shedding tears was no longer possible. Needless to say, the shower didn't make me feel any better and now sporting blotchy cheeks and tender eyes, I can only imagine the attention I'm drawing to myself.