~Chapter thirty three~

💕~👑~🍻
The first time I saw
you, my heart whispered
"that's the one".

-Unknown
🍻~👑~💕

So I was thinking,"

Oh no.

"We should ask Hannah if she'd like to come dress shopping with us." suggests Anna, licking Nutella from her spoon like the vulture she is.

Her reference is of course in relation to our lack of attire for next week's dance and although neither one of us has yet to be asked, we've every intention of going.

"Need I remind you we don't have dates." I laugh, reaching across the counter to retrieve my own breakfast; popping the toaster before it burns.

"Speak for yourself." she defends, quick to reject my insinuation. "Taylor asked me last night." she then smiles, quite clearly infatuated by the guy who is, at best, a mathematical genius.

"Seriously? That's amazing!"

"Yeah. He was really nervous and messed it up but I accepted anyway. It was kinda cute." she explains, unable to hide her smile. "Is Aidan still holding out?" she questions, dumping her spoon in the sink and biting into her smeared bagel.

Aidan is very much still holding out on asking me to the dance and having yet to be alone with him since his birthday or more specifically, our shared moment in his bedroom, it's been hard addressing the matter of our relationship. Keeping things reasonably platonic is proving rather difficult and reducing ourselves to the odd touch here and there isn't nearly as satisfying as I'd hoped. Simply put, if I don't have my way with him soon, I'll likely explode.

"Yep, still no mention of the dance," I confirm, mentally scorning the situation. "Though I'll probably get a navy blue dress," I smile, talking colour schemes. "Just to be safe."

"Excellent choice. I'm visualising a red number on myself. You know what they say; go bold or don't bother." she informs, making little to no sense.

I laugh at her declaration but don't dare press the issue, knowing she'll look positively amazing in a red, floor length dress come Friday evening. Even I'm excited to be dressing up and although not usually one for going to the extremities, I promised myself just this once.

"I'm happy he asked you," I state, rather randomly engaging in a behind hug, offering her body no consolation as I squeeze it closer to my own.

We both remain in this position for quite some time before I half heartedly dislodging myself as to effectively butter my toast. I quickly set about spreading even layers on both slices, absentmindedly humming along to a tune on the kitchens radio, though stop once Anna's soft voice forces me to.

"Life isn't so bad here, is it?" she asks, suddenly twisting in her stance.

I continue to focus on my toast, unsure I like the direction of conversation and decide to use my breakfast as a means of distraction should I feel the need to.

"I miss Mom every day but I like being here. I like being with Dad and Em. I like Hannah and my friends," she pauses briefly, as if treading carefully. "You seem much happier here. You are happy, aren't you?"