chapter eight/that's not funny

"hey josh see any dead bodies lately?" mark jeers, elbowing my side.

"you truly are the funniest person in the world, mark! tell me - how ever did you come up with that?!" i fake exclaim.

"what can i say, it's a natural gift," he smiles, shrugging his shoulders.

"truly, why do i bother spending time with you?" i roll my eyes, flipping to the end of the magazine i'm reading.

"maybe because we share the same shift...? just a guess," he smirks.

"speaking of shifts - i need you to cover for me tomorrow night," i tell him casually.

"why?"

"jesus christ tyler!" mark clutches his heart, jumping at the sudden appearance of tyler at the counter. "would you stop doing that?!"

"sorry," tyler flashes a certain smile at mark that tells me he's really not sorry at all.

"now, go on josh- i'd like to know the answer to his question myself," mark gestures for me to explain.

"well, i'm going to a party," i shrug, simply accepting tyler's money and neglecting to ring it up.

"with who?" tyler asks.

"jack and rian," i raise an eyebrow. "you jealous?"

"no i just-" he looks flustered and extremely annoyed. "whatever, nothing, i have to go. drink please?" he reaches his hands out expectantly.

i hand him the soda, and watch as he leaves without another word. i frown, turning to mark with a 'what the fuck' expression on my face. mark whistles, turning to looking at me exasperatedly.

"dude's such a vampire."

||

the next night

standing in front of my mirror, i struggle to force a smile.

i snap the picture instantly, taking a couple of me not smiling as well. i flick through them, deciding to just crop out my face entirely. then i send one to jack, knowing it'll make him excited that i texted him for fashion advice.

personally, i don't think there's anything wrong with black skinny jeans and a white v-neck. especially with white vans. isn't that just a simple outfit? it's fashionable right? jack disagrees.

jackbaraboner: take that shirt off immediately.

in response i send him a picture of my now bare torso.

jackbaraboner: i'm gonna have to delete that so my mom doesn't think i'm boning you

joshuaisdun: um does ur mom usually read ur texts

jackbaraboner: if i set my phone down somewhere long enough, you can bet your ass

joshuaisdun: ok. we're running out of time what should i wear

jackbaraboner: you have regular blue jeans right

joshuaisdun: they're skinny but yeah dark blue