Chapter 14

Another week had passed and things were going well. No longer did I picture my drugs ever second I was alone. No longer did I lose sleep due to my mind running wild with thoughts of my past. I was getting better and admittedly, I was growing happier.

    Carter and I were sitting at our lunch table and eating. As I ate, my eyes would drift over to where Hayley sat and I would see her eating alone. Dylan hadn't shown up yet and I wondered if I should join her. She was lonely and it bothered me, even though we weren't even friends yet.

"One girl," Carter said, bringing my attention to him. "One girl has changed you. I can't believe I'm saying this."

"I can't believe it's happening," I admitted.

I had never thought of seriously quitting drugs. Not when Mom asked, not when Carter begged, and not when my other friends left me. But Hayley, a girl I had only met a few months ago, made me seriously think about it. It was because of her and Mom that I decided to quit. It was incredible how one person could change you.

"It's amazing," Carter said, smiling. "I'm proud of you."

"I'm proud of myself too," I admitted, punching his shoulder. "Thanks."

Carter looked happy and I remembered the days when Carter would beg for me to quit. That had been years ago, when I started taking drugs, and I knew he had never truly forgiven me for picking drugs over him. Although we joked about my habit now, I knew Carter secretly hated it. That was why, he seemed genuinely happy that I quit.

"So, I'm guessing you want to ask Hayley out again now that you've been clean for a month?" Carter said, raising his eyebrows. "When are you planning to?"

"Not anytime soon," I answered, causing Carter to frown. "I... I want to wait."

"Why?"

"I don't know." I shrugged, looking down. "Just for when the time feels right."

That was somewhat of a lie because the truth was, I wanted to be sure that Hayley reciprocated my feelings before I would ask her out. There were signs such as that she would stare at me that made me think that she was fond of me, but I was still unsure. And to be honest, I didn't want to get rejected by her. Not when I knew that I actually wanted to be with her.

"Good luck," Carter suddenly said, bringing my attention back to her. "I hope you find happiness."

I smiled at him, thankful he was at my side. Carter was one of the few people who had stuck by me and I was forever thankful. He was a good friend and I realized he was one of the few people I truly valued.

*****

I was rushing to Calculus because I had been talking to my English teacher about an assignment, which left me with a minute to get to class. I was almost there and I prayed that I would make it because last month I had gotten a perfect attendance for the month award. Everyone had been shocked about it, even me, but many things had changed since I quit drugs.

    I finally made it to the classroom, thankfully on time, but I still ran into the room. And the second I entered, I crashed into someone, causing her to fall. My eyes went wide as I saw Hayley now on the ground, covering her nose. Horror filled me as I realized I had caused her to fall.

    Dropping to the ground, I said, "Shit. I am so sorry."

    Hayley looked at me and I tensed as I waited for her to yell at me. It was a reasonable response for how hard I hit her, but to my surprise she just stared at me for a second. She then looked away.

    "It's okay," she said, cheeks flushing. "You know, I was about to head outside to see if you skipped."

    "Really?" I asked, shocked.

    "Really." Her voice was soft. "You haven't skipped in a while."

    Hayley looked at me, her eyes questioning. Ever since I had stopped smoking, I hadn't skipped and I remembered how Hayley always seemed to be outside during those times. Suddenly, I realized why and my cheeks heated up. Hayley was always looking for me.

    "You're always looking for me, aren't you?" I suddenly asked, eyes softening.

    Hayley went red and she suddenly got up. Without another word she walked off, leaving me sitting in my spot, thinking about my discovery. It made me feel good. So good, I was grinning to myself.

    Knowing I couldn't just sit in my spot forever, I got up and walked over to my seat. Carter was there and he was staring at me, looking intrigued. I grinned at him, ready to tell him everything.

"Looks like Hayley fell for you," Carter commented as I sat down next to him.

"Do you really think so?" I asked, excitedly.

"I was joking." Carter smiled and he shook his head. "But what happened there? The both of you were blushing."

I told Carter about my discovery and he grinned. He seemed equally excited and that gave me hope. Maybe Hayley was truly softening up to me.

"I'm excited for you Logan," Carter said, his eyes drifting to where Hayley sat. "I-"

He suddenly froze, his jaw dropping, causing me to be confused. My eyes then flew to where he was looking and my heart dropped at what I saw. Hayley had her head on Dylan's shoulder, her eyes shut, and he had his arm around her. Dylan was staring at her and from the way his eyes were on her, I knew he liked her. The thought made me sick.

I couldn't believe Hayley was allowing him to hold her. The Hayley I knew was a strong, independent woman who didn't need anyone to comfort her. The sight made me uneasy and I kept telling myself that this was a friendly gesture between them. Nothing more.

    "Wow, they're such good friends," I said, looking back at Carter and forcing a smile.

  Carter looked at me and he didn't look convinced. But, he forced a smile. That didn't help because my friend rarely comforted me.

    "Yeah," he said. "They're great friends."

    I looked back at them and my heart dropped. Dylan was the class president. He was kind and righteous, someone that Hayley would love to be with. I didn't want to admit it, but they would work out - unlike her and I.

    Panic hit me suddenly as I looked back at Carter. It was obvious that I could lose her. Obvious I needed to act fast before I lost my chance to be with her. Because of that, I decided something immediately.

    "Once I've been clean for two months, I'm going to ask her out," I said. "I will get her to go on a date with me."

    Carter nodded. For once, he didn't tell me that I was being an idiot, which made me uneasy. Did he think I was screwed?

   "Okay," he said. "Go get her Logan. You deserve her and I hope everything works out."

    I hoped so too. Feeling anxious, I hoped time flew by. That way, I would not lose Hayley. I would get her to be mine before it was too late.