Daddy's little girl

Maine sat on her bed, staring at her laptop. She had been shifting from sitting to lying on her tummy for a while, huffing and sighing most of the time. Coleen was on her own bed next to Maine's reading a book. She noticed what her sister was doing, not minding her at first. But Maine was fidgety-quiet, something she rarely does. Maine had always been the vibrant, noisy, exuberant one – not this fidgety but quiet "thing" next to Coleen.

"Girl....anong problema?"

"...huh?...."

"....anong problema mo?"

"...ah...eh...wala....wa....la...."

Coleen let her be. Maybe she just wanted peace and quiet; to be left alone.

"....ugghhh...." Maine groaned as she continued to fidget on her bed.

Coleen just glanced at Maine and turned to her side.

Maine huffed noisily.

"...ano ba? ano bang problema, ha?"

"...Eeeehhhhhh....."

"Ehhh ano? Kanina ka pa dyan! Di ka mapakali tapos ang ingay-ingay mo! Ano bang iniisip mo?"

Maine slammed her computer shut, stood up and huffed out the bedroom. Coleen just looked at her, half confused but also not really concerned.

Maine left her phone in the room. It was constantly buzzing and lighting up. Coleen didn't mind it at first but when the phone didn't seem to stop buzzing and lighting up, she stood up and went to Maine's bed and looked at it.

.....24 missed calls.....154 messages....

"....haaay.....Meng!...." Coleen said as she picked up the phone and walked out of the bedroom to search for its owner.

"...Meng....Meeeeeeeeeeng!.....Menggay!" Coleen repeatedly called as she walked around the house.

No response.

"Kanina ka pa sigaw ng sigaw dyan!" Nanay MaryAnne came out from the master's bedroom.

"Eh si Menggay...."

"Diba magksama kayo sa kwarto?"

"Opo....pero lumabas....eh kanina pa tunog ng tunog telepono nya...."

"Ahh...baka bumaba...."

"Pe....nakita mo si Meng?" Coleen asked Ate Pepe who was in the kitchen with the other helper, Alma.

"Hmmm.....teka....Alma, nakita mo ba si Meng?"

"Uhmm...uminom lang po sya ng tubig kanina tapos lumabas din bigla....di ko na nakita pagkatapos..."

Coleen didn't pursue looking for Maine anymore. She thought that maybe Maine wanted to be alone.

It was getting late and there still wasn't any sign of Maine around. Her phone, now with almost triple the number of missed calls and text massages, was still on the kitchen counter where Coleen left it earlier.

When Coleen saw the phone again with Rj calling, she picked up the call.

"Hello?"

"Uhmm....hello?"

"O, Jay....si Coleen 'to."

"Hi Coleen!...Si Menggay?"

"Di ko rin alam e....kanina pa sya wala...."

"Di nya rin sinasagot yung calls ko dun sa isa pa nyang phone e...."

"....."

"O sige....later nalang....salamat, Coleen...." Rj ended the call.

Even Tatay Teddy was now searching for his princess. Everyone in their house looked all over the place without success.

While seated on his office chair in their home-office, Tatay Teddy opened the corner cabinet. There, he found Maine, curled up in the corner, sleeping. Dried up tears streaked her cheeks.

He crawled in and sat beside her, leaning his head on her shoulder. Maine woke up and turned to look at Tatay.

"....Tay....." she said as he moved and let her lean her head on his shoulder.

"Sabi na nga bang dito kita mahahanap e...."

"...."

"....dito ka madalas magtago pag napapagalitan ka or may problema ka noon....may problema ba ang baby ko?" Tatay Teddy said in a gentle tone as he kissed Maine's head.

"...." tears flowed down Maine's cheeks again. She heaved, Tatay knew she was crying again.

"O bakit...?"

"....."

"Pagod ka na?....Ayaw mo na?"

"Hindi....hindi po....hindi po sa ganun....gusto ko po.....gusto ko po work ko...."

"Kung ayaw mo na....sabihin mo lang.....we will support you, anak...."

"...." Maine smiled a little and rubbed the back of her hand across her face.

"....eh bakit ka pa rin umiiyak?" Tatay asked as he wiped her face with his hands.

"Si...Rj kasi...."

"Nag-away kayo?"

"....hindi po...."

"Nagtatampo ka na naman?.....haaay ang baby ko....."

"....diba aalis kami for HongKong with the Dabarkads next week....?"

"...oo nga pala....ilang days nga kayo?"

"...4 days po..."

"....kasama naman sya diba?"

"....susunod daw po....may isa pa syang commitment bago makaalis...." she nodded.

"...ahh....kaya ka nagmumukmok? Di kayo magkasabay...."

"...."

"Haaay ang baby ko.....busy din yung tao.....kailangan din nya matapos muna yung work nya....di naman pwedeng magkasama kayo lagi...."

"...."

"....And I think he needs some time for himself and for his family din...I'm sure miss na nila ang isa't isa....ikaw nga, every Saturday-Sunday nalang tayo nagkakasama.....nami-miss na rin kita, alam mo yun?"

Maine slowly looks up at Tatay who is now looking down at her, tears forming in his eyes, tenderly looking down at his princess.

She moves her arms to hug her Tatay.

"Na-miss din kita, Tay...." she says as she tightens her embrace.

"I love you, Ting..." he says he hugs her tight and kisses her on the top of her head. "...labas na tayo dito....hinahanap ka na ng Nanay mo...."

"Asus! Andyan lang pala kayo...." Nanay MaryAnne says as she sees Tatay and Maine walk out of the office and into the living room.

Tatay nods to Nanay. He lets go of Maine, whom he has put his arm around as they got out of the cabinet.

"....nagtago ka na naman sa lungga mo?" Nanay said, putting her arm around Maine.

"...."

"....favorite hiding place mo yun e...." Nanay rubs Maine's arm and pulls her for a side-hug.

Maine just smiles.