Preference 255 - Making It Work

Harry - “I’ll call you every night, okay? Every night…” he kissed your forehead again, and again. His lips rushed warm ramblings there and you didn’t want him to let you go, “if I can’t call, I’ll text you, every night. I mean it, babe, and then I’ll be back,” he held your eyes when he said it, “I’m coming back to you, babe.”

"Haz…" you lowered your eyes, tugging a little on one side of his shirt, stretching it past his tattoos, "just promise me you won’t meet some other girl and fall in love with her… yeah?"

He cradled your face in both of his hands, and he didn’t say anything until the clock ticked over to the next minute. You felt his hips knock yours gently, his body swaying with you until you were dancing in the middle of his bedroom, bags packed by the door and his hoodie around you, beanie settled over his curls. He smiled oddly in the dim light you had around you, before he kissed the side of your mouth, aching there, “babe… how could I ever fall in love? When I’m already so deeply, completely in love with you?”

Liam - “Hey, if you’ve got work off tomorrow, I can skip the studio and we can just hang out…” he threaded his fingers with yours until he had your hand and he was holding it, cradling it, “how does that sound?”

"I don’t know…" you mumbled, falling into his chest, "I don’t know if I can get work off tomorrow, babe." You exhaled until he held you, at the small of your back, with his palm rubbing circles into the skin soothingly. He shushed you, kissing your hairline, "then," he sighed, "then I’ll come to your work and hang out with you there."

"Liam…" you warned him back. 

"Babe," he held your cheek, "I want to spend all the time with you that I can." He let you fall towards his chest again, to press your cheek there and let him hold you, the way he always does, if he’s been with you for five days or five minutes. He kissed your hairline again, and again and again, "we’ll make it work, okay?"

Louis - “So, you’re gonna be off at all these parties…” you tossed your head back, groaning. Cross-legged on the edge of his bed whilst he packed around you, “and you’re gonna meet all these cool people and these beautiful girls and go out and drink and dance and have fun and do all of this crazy stuff, and I’m gonna be, what? Stuck here?”

"Babe," Louis carried his voice in measure, kneeling in front of an open suitcase, smirk riddling his tone. 

"…waiting for you to come home whilst my life sucks, and then you’re gonna call and you’ll tell me you’ve met some ten-foot model who you’re in love with and…" he cut you off with a kiss. Standing up swiftly on the way over to you, he held your face, fingers sliding into your hair where he knotted you tighter, and kissed you harder. 

"I love you, okay?" He breathed, kneading your forehead with his when he broke the kiss, "I love you, and you love me, and that will always be enough."

Zayn - “I miss you,” you murmured quietly into the phone, laying back against a dozen pillows that didn’t make up for Zayn, “I really miss you right now.”

"I know, babe," he replied softly, "I miss you too, but I’ll be back soon, okay? I will, I’ll be back and I’ll get to kiss you again." You held the phone to your ear, sitting up when a few tears fell that you didn’t want trailing into the handset. You wiped aimlessly with your sleeve, "we’ll… we’ll be okay, yeah?"

"Yeah," he breathed, and he meant it. Your expression broke at the sound of him, at assurance you couldn’t feel from thousands of miles away. You sniffed, shutting your eyes tightly and holding your temples when you rubbed with your thumb and forefinger, trying to figure something out. 

"I love you, Zayn," you blew out coolly, and murmured when you could. 

"I know," he whispered, into the phone, "I love you too, and I always will."

Niall - you crossed your arms, and turned your back on him. He stepped closer and unwrapped it all for you, unwrapping your limbs so you could hold him the way he held you, arms taking your waist and hands meeting at the small of your back, “babe, come on…” he nudged you by your neck with the tip of his nose. 

"It’s just hard…"

"I know, I know," he held you tighter, "but we make it work, don’t we? That’s… that’s we do, right? You and me," he held your chin between his thumb and forefinger, raising your eyes to his, "we’re a team, you and me against the world. We’ll get these busy days out of the way, and then you’ve got me, all of me," he cradled his voice a little more, "I promise."

"Sounds good," you swallowed, letting him hold you there, "sounds good to me."