Chapter 2

"Alright, Vae. Are you ready?" Zeke asks, finishing up with the straps of the harness.

I grin. "Yep. I'm ready."

"Okay, then. Let's send you off." He and Uriah pull me back and then let go.

My mother has taken me ziplining twice. My father never comes, but that's because he hates heights. I can't really even explain the rush I get from it- it's like when my parents let me jump from the building that the initiates jump from each year. You just get that rush of adrenaline, the crazy, heart-stopping feeling thinking that this is it, that you're dead.

And then boom! You stop.

Which is exactly what happens. I know enough about ropes and restraints to quickly undo the straps and pull my body out of the harness. I keep one boot on the one strap, half of it dangling off. My other than holds the clip where it hooks to the line, as well as the metal line.

"Drop already!" Maiya calls up to me, teasing.

"Fine then! You better catch me!" I swing the harness up, slide my foot out, and let go.

I unintentionally do a flip in midair and land on my back in a net of hands. Ryde pulls his hands away and slides one arm under my knees, the other resting under my shoulders. He backs up and set me on the ground. "There you go, princess."

I swing at him, but unfortunately he sees it coming and ducks. "Jerk!"

He waves me off. "Come on, guys. We gotta hurry back and catch the train." He looks down at his watch. "Like, now."

A/N: Sorry it's so short. I'm probably going to do a 10 reads=update thing until/unless more people read it.