Chapter Ten

Kagome's Scent

      Kagome woke up in Sesshomaru's arms, her cheek on his bare chest as she stirred awake. She stood and changed into her priestess outfit, looking at her new sleeping mate. She rubbed the sore spot on her neck, the mark. Last night they had marked each other, they were mates, the bond they now share is indestructible. "Good morning, my mate." Sesshomaru greeted with his eyes still closed, a small smile on his features.

     "I thought you were sleeping, good morning my love." Kagome greeted back before sighing. "I hate to tell you this, but I have to go back, the others are probably worried." Kagome added before kissing him goodbye.

     He opened his eyes and pushed Kagome into his lap to start nuzzling her neck. "Your scent is intoxicating." Sesshomaru grabbed her waist as he said this and put her over his shoulder as he stood up. "Be careful mate. If you need me,  yell my name; I will come as fast as I can." Sesshomaru spoke gently and put her down before nibbling on her ear.

     "Are you afraid?" Kagome asked as her brilliant brown eyes stared into Sesshomaru's golden ones. Sesshomaru sighed and looked at her caringly.

     "I don't want you to go, but I know it's the right thing to do. Be careful, my love." Sesshomaru answered as he caressed her cheek. He then proceeded to change into his clothes and armor.

     "I'll see you later, Sesshomaru!" Kagome yelled as she ran to the village.

     "What if she left?! No, she left her stuff here. What if she was hurt?! Inuyasha, go find Kagome!" Sango screamed at him as she paced back and forth repeatedly.

     "Sango, calm down, she will be coming soon." Miroku comforted as he prepared to head out and look for shards with them.

      "Inuyasha is an idiot, he didn't hear anything of what we said." Shippo stated, crossing his arms as he glared at the inu. Kirara mewled in agreement as she nuzzled Sango's cheek, who was still pacing back and forth.

     "Don't worry, Sango, Kagome will come back soon enough." Kaede stated before leaving to gather herbs. Everyone hoped she was right.

     "I'm back! Sorry I took so long." Kagome told them as she calmly came in and stretched.

     "I was so worried! I thought you left for good even with your stuff here!" Sango exclaimed as she ran to hug Kagome, who hugged back.

     "I told you Sango, now get ready to head out." Miroku sighed as he started making more sutras, preparing ahead.

      "Your scent is different." Inuyasha wondered aloud as he tried to sniff it out, he grabbed her wrist and pulled her towards him to sniff her better. "Your usual scent and another scent too. I can't tell what the other scent is though." Inuyasha added as Kagome got her wrist out of his grip.

     "Don't worry about it! I'm back!" Kagome told them nervously as she grabbed her stuff and started walking towards the door.

     "We missed you, Kagome! You were gone half a day!" Shippo exclaimed as he jumped onto Kagome's shoulder and started hugging her neck.

     "Sorry to worry you, Shippo." Kagome kindly told him as she gently patted Shippo on his back.

     "Enough talking, let's go." Inuyasha headed out the door, everyone soon followed.

     After a couple days of traveling Kagome started to feel something in her neck, a soreness not even massaging could relieve. "Can we stop for a while? Its afternoon and I'm starving." Kagome asked as one her hands touched her neck, slowly massaging.

      "Fine." Inuyasha answered as he leapt onto a tree and watched everyone, still trying to figure out what was wrong with Kagome's scent.

     After everyone ate, they decided to set up camp there until tomorrow. Kagome told them she was going into the woods to get water for her water bottles, but nobody believed her. They all knew something was up, but Inuyasha was the only one who wanted to know what was wrong; so he followed her.