CHAPTER 24

I watch my clock change from four fifty nine to five o’clock and a familiar tune starts playing in my dorm. Today is Monday, also the day that my business class goes downtown London. After I ran off from Harry’s place yesterday, I came back to my dorm and it was empty. Alice is probably gone to spend the night at Theo’s. When I arrived at my room, I broke down and started to cry. So many things were going through my mind at once, it was unbelievable. The first thing that was on my mind was how Harry beat the guts out of someone right in front of me. That leads us to the second reason; Harry’s parents. Since Harry was beating someone, it reminded me of how his dad used to abuse him and his mum. Then, since I was thinking about his parents, mine came in the way. Them being dead is certainly the worst thing that ever happened in my life. People can say that you get over it by time, but that’s not true. How can you get over the fact that your parents are dead? I stopped crying around three in the morning and then I basically stayed awake the rest of the night, watching my clock strike different numbers, play with the ends of my hair, watch the darkness fade away, anything but sleep. It didn’t come to me; I was too disturbed and way too scared.

I have been staring at myself in the mirror for at least ten minutes now. I look like a complete mess. You know when people say that sleep helps you stay beautiful? Yeah well I surely need some sleep. My eyes have dark circles around them and they are red and puffy. My skin is so pale I could possibly be mistaken as Rosalie in Twilight. I don’t know what to do or wear and I have to leave in thirty minutes. I was supposed to leave at five fifty but I want to stop by the coffee shop on campus so I have to leave ten minutes earlier.

After putting a lot of makeup on my face to at least look presentable, I searched through my closet for some clothes. Today is going to be cold so I might as well dress warmly. I decide on a pair of pale blue skinny jeans, a white t-shirt with New York City printed on it, a warm black hoodie and my red Converse. My hair is tied up in a ponytail and I decided to put my glasses on today. I haven’t put them on since I arrived in England and my contacts are starting to irritate my eyes. My glasses are black Ray-Bans, nothing really big. It makes me look like a geek but I don’t even care.

I lock my dorm door behind me and start making my way to the coffee shop. Slipping my hands into my hoodies’ pockets, I picked up my pace since it was really cold. Five short minutes later, I enter the café and the strong smell of caffeine immediately fills my nose. There is only a small line of three people so I put myself in back of a tall lady with strawberry blond hair. While I am patiently waiting, I grab my phone from my back pocket and open it. I have closed it the second I left Harry’s place because I knew he would’ve bombarded me with calls, messages and voicemail. And I was right. I have eleven messages from him, four voicemails and seventeen missed calls. I didn’t even take the time to listen to the voicemails and deleted them, doing the same for the text messages.

“Lucy?” I hear a voice say from above me.

I lift my head to see a smiling young man behind the counter. I immediately recognized him.

“Maze? I thought you worked at the movie store?” I grimace.

“Yeah well I have two jobs,” he smiles, “What can I get you this morning?” he asks.

“Um, I’ll take a Vanilla Latte, please.” I reply and he nods disappearing behind the counter.

All of the customers have left the store by now, taking their coffee on the go. I place my phone into my back pocket again and watch Maze’s back as he makes my latte. Maze is actually a nice guy and it really sucks that Harry had to be mean and arrogant towards him. He wasn’t even flirting with me! Ugh, I have to stop thinking about Harry.

“That’s a hell of a boyfriend you have there.” Maze says, his back still facing me.

“Yeah, about that, I am so sorry. He was just being jealous. Don’t mind him; he can really be an arse sometimes.” I reply as he turns his body and hands me my latte, “How much?” I ask.