CHAPTER 33

surprise chapter:3

--

I woke up the next morning. But this time, it wasn’t because of the strong light peering through the thin curtains of Harry’s room. Actually, when I opened my eyes, it was dark. What woke me up were the smell of bacon and the sound of pans banging against each other. As I turned around to look at the clock on Harry’s bedside table—which is close to the window—I saw that the thin white curtains had been replaced by thick black curtains. The clock read ten thirty six in the morning. I rolled onto my back and sighed, debating whether I should get up or not. I was tired, very tired, but I had to get up anyway.

I lifted my lazy body from the mattress and adjusted the shirt Harry lent me yesterday night. That shirt was a little bigger than the other ones he had lent me before. It went two inches above my knees and one side of the shirt fell down my shoulder. I tied my hair into a ponytail and put my glasses on and then exited the room. When I got to the kitchen, Tyler and Harry’s backs were facing me. They were arguing but I didn’t pay attention as to what they were arguing about.

“Morning, boys,” I cleared my throat.

Reluctantly, both of them spun around and stayed in front of the counter. Tyler spoke first. “Oh, good morning sis! We aren’t doing anything so you can just go sit in the living room and listen to the TV or read a book like you always do. Anything that will keep you away from the kitchen.” He rambled with a nervous smile.

“That’s what I was going to do…” I said slowly and went to the living room.

I sat down and took Harry’s copy of Gulliver’s Travels. I continued reading where I left off last time but my thoughts were interrupted by the image of Harry’s father. Yesterday had not been how I expected with Oliver, honestly. He was lying to my face and I knew it because I spent the day with Harry, not his sister. I only saw her with Harry before I had gotten to his place and according to what I saw, they were not getting along. Harry literally slapped her in the face. But, I might be wrong. Maybe Oliver wasn’t lying to me. Maybe Cassandra lied to Oliver about what happened with Harry and Oliver only told me what Cassandra told him. My thoughts were all over the place, creating different scenarios as to what happened and what will happen.  

“Happy birthday to you”—I lifted my head from the book that I was clearly not reading—“happy birthday to you. Happy birthday, dear Lucy, happy birthday to you!” the boys sang while bringing a plate of pancakes with candles on them, and some bacon on the side.

“Make a wish!” Tyler beamed.

I closed my eyes, wished and blew out the candles. The boys clapped and cheered and I smiled as they both took a seat on each side of me. Harry placed his arm around my shoulder and kissed my cheek.

After I had done my pancakes and watched a movie with the boys, they brought me bowling. There weren’t as many people since it was the afternoon. When we were done our three games—that I all won—we went back to Harry’s place. I made some food, even though we had eaten at the bowling alley, and we ate peacefully, laughing and talking about stuff. Tyler and I have been feeling a lot better lately, since our Aunt’s death. Surprisingly, I took it way easier than I thought I would. Yes I am still very sad that she had to leave us so soon, but I am so used to losing things that are vulnerable to me, that it has become a habit—almost.

Now, we were on our way to check for more apartments that Tyler and I could live in for a while until I got enough money to go back to Australia. I still haven’t talked about it to Harry, but I’m sure he’ll understand. Anyway, if he doesn’t, who is he to choose what I do in my life? He knew about the apartment, just not the Australia part.