Chapter 13

Up above is the where the business party is held...

Meera's P.O.V

"What a cheap sari, she's wearing, doesn't she know how to dress properly for functions like this?"

"She probably don't know how to cook either, foolish girl."

"Look her, not socialising, very arrogant and rude. How dare she stay quiet."

"Middle class is not fit for this type of occasion, ugh!"

"I feel extremely sorry for her husband, probably suffering because of this middle class, uneducated brat."

Yep.

This is what I am currently listening to, a conversation about me. All of these 'complements' about me are from the group of women, who are the businessmen wives.

Mr Krishnan asked me to join these women since he was talking with someone else.
When I first walked over to join them, they stared at me like I was some mutant alien monster. Suddenly they grouped together totally avoiding me. So I just stood next to them awkwardly.

One of the women from the group asked me to join the group to which I was relieved as I thought I would stay an outsider for the entire party. So I happily joined them.

Who knew that I now badly regret that decision?

Now, while listening to them shaming me, I'm with my head faced towards the ground, trying to block them out.

They actually have really nice patterns on the floor though, just pointing that out. I'm such an dumb person...

My mother said, 'if any person talks openly bad things about you, don't react and cause a scene even if it badly hurts you but ignore them and stay polite, deal with it afterwards.'

I'm planning to listen to her words but it's getting harder and harder.

"Hello, have you no culture?, don't you know it's not good manners to look other way when people are talking?"

Unless they're talking about you.

" what I expect, no answer, of course. What did her mother teach her? Her mother probably came off the street and only managed up to Year 12 and failed, no wonder the genes passed to her uncultured, filthy daughter."

"Only here for money, only to pick her husband's pockets."

I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!

They first disrespect my mother now they think I'm sooooo poor that I need to pick that idiot's pockets! How dare they?!

" Have you no, decency to talk about someone while they're right here and have done nothing to you?"

They are shocked and then regain composure. They scowl before speaking,

" Child, it's bad to talk back to elders you know. What did your mother teach you? Nothing?"

I grit my teeth and realise she is right. Ugh! I can't speak back to her, she is older than me, the grandmother of evil women she is.

One of the other women walks past me with slight force which makes th-

"Oops, sorry, you should be looking where you're standing. Unless you're blind of course."

She mutters the last part quietly but not quiet enough. If you're wondering what she said 'oops' for, she was carrying a glass of wine.

The wine which she purposely poured on me has left a big purple stain on my blue and orange sari. My sari is now soaked.