Chapter 25

Baschera wakes next to a sleeping Isabel on the floor of the wine cellar as a loud commotion from a crowd of people is heard outside

Baschera wakes next to a sleeping Isabel on the floor of the wine cellar as a loud commotion from a crowd of people is heard outside. He quickly pulls his clothes on trying to exit before Isabel wakes up. 

The commotion increases before he has the chance and she starts to stir. "Good morning," she says with a smile.

"Good morning," he answers being a bit dismissive and cold.

"What's that noise?" she asks.

"I'm not sure. It sounds like something's wrong," he affirms as he puts on his boots.

She starts to collect herself as he prepares to head out the door. "Come here," she insists.

"What?" he replies as he moves closer.

She pulls him closer but he dodges her as she attempts to kiss him.

"What's the matter?" she asks.

"Look. Last night was a mistake. It was a lot of fun, but it was a mistake. I was drunk and depressed and to be honest, you look good and I was lonely. I'm sorry but you aren't the one I want to be with."

"Well, I didn't see this coming." She responds with an angry scowl.

"I'm sorry. This wasn't supposed to happen." He reveals as he walks out the door.

He moves swiftly toward the growing commotion as she takes an indirect route to the guest quarters so she isn't seen in the clothing she wore the night before. As he nears the crowd gathered near the steps to the back of the castle, he can see Lord Garrin standing on the steps high enough to where he overlooks everyone. Baschera starts pushing through the crowd so he can hear what Lord Garrin is saying.

"Instead of traveling to your respective households, everyone will be leaving together shortly to ensure your safety. It's a long way to Brinonberg, so please gather your things and ready your carriages immediately." Announces Garrin.

The crowd erupts in chatter as everyone starts to disperse. He catches a glimpse of Dekker, so he quickly navigates through the crowd to catch up to him.

"Hey. What the hell is going on?" Asks Baschera.

"We're leaving." Responds Dekker.

"I gathered this much." Retorts Baschera shrewdly.

"The Queen was poisoned by rebels."

"She's dead?" Yells Baschera.

"Yeah, she's dead. That's why Asher left in a hurry without saying anything."

"You're serious?" Asks Baschera in disbelief.

"I'm serious damn it!"

"What the." He takes a deep breath. "It's time for war. It's about time we wiped those bastards out."