Chapter 53

Zane looks at Lady Marie, unaware of her flirtatious body language

Zane looks at Lady Marie, unaware of her flirtatious body language. She looks him over as if he is the next endeavor on her list.

"I don't believe we've met before. I'm Zane," he introduces himself.

"It's very nice to meet you," she acknowledges as she offers her hand.

He grabs her hand and kisses it. "It's nice to meet you as well."

She stares at him for a moment, making him a bit uncomfortable. "Let's have a look at her," she finally suggests. She picks up a small dagger and cuts the top of each sleeve of Rose's dress. Zane watches intently as Marie sets down the dagger and walks around to the end of the bed. She grabs the bottom of Rose's dress and pulls it off. Zane's eyes widen as he gets a full view of Rose's nude body. He can't help but stare momentarily. Marie smiles as she watches him attempt to avert his eyes. She moves to the side of the bed and places her hands on Rose's side, then closes her eyes. After a few moments, Marie opens her eyes and looks at him. "You did well closing the wound and repairing her ribs, but she still has some internal damage. She will live though. It will take at least a few days of treatment before the healing process really takes effect," she explains.

"That's very good news!" Smiles Zane as his worry lifts a little. "Thank you!"

"There's no need to thank me. You are the one who saved her life," admits Marie. "She is very lucky you were there. You did very well considering the fact you're a man."

Zane laughs. "I'm not sure whether to take that as a compliment or an insult."

"Take it as a compliment," she urges with a smile. "You should stop in sometime if you would like to learn more about healing. I'm sure a more in depth knowledge of healing in general could prove useful on the battlefield."

"That it would," acknowledges Zane. "I will definitely take you up on that offer once things have settled down."

"Good! Until then, Rose is in good hands. I will take good care of her and keep you updated," she proclaims.

"Thank you! I had better go find out where I am to stay. Again, it was very nice meeting you," declares Zane as he heads for the door.

"The pleasure was all mine," she admits, staring at him as he leaves the room.

Zane stares at the palace in awe as he walks back to the outer courtyard. He enters the courtyard to find squires and palace servants unloading all of their belongings from the carriages. As he approaches Navar, Ademar, Asher, and Baschera, Navar stares at him like he's seen a ghost.

"Good, we've been waiting for you," announces Ademar as he barely makes out Zane's profile. "Let us head to the Council Chamber."

Zane helps guide Ademar as they head into the inner portion of the palace and climb to the second floor. As they enter the Council Chamber, Lord Crispin is already waiting for them. He bows as Asher enters the room. Asher sits at the head of the table and everyone else finds an open seat. Zane finds himself between Asher and Ademar, as Baschera and Navar sit across table and look at him awkwardly.