Chapter 39

"What does that mean?" Zane questions Ademar

"I'm not entirely sure." Admits Ademar. "I've never seen it change colors before, and I've never even heard of it burning green.

"Is there anyone who knows more about the seal, or any books written about it?" Asks Zane.

"The Great Seal has been around for thousands of years and we honestly don't know much about it other than what I've already explained. If any books were written about it, they've been lost to time. I do have some theories though. Go get settled in to your room and I will meet you in a bit to discuss them further." Explains Ademar.

"Alright." Agrees Zane as they head toward the housing halls.

"You're in for a treat." Declares Dekker. "We got the best room this year. I've been stuck in one of the two lower class halls every year, but somehow we've been upgraded to the best of the four halls, and got the best room.

Zane quietly walks next to Dekker zoned out as he thinks about what the Seal reavealed.

"Are you alright?" Questions Dekker.

"Yeah, sorry. I was just thinking about the Seal." Admits Zane.

As they round the corner to head down their hall, Drake, Caine, and Silas stand in their way.

"Aren't you two peasants a little lost? The lower class halls are that way." Points Drake.

"Our room is in this hall." Retorts Dekker.

"Last time I checked, your peasant families are on the lower end of the social class." Argues Drake.

"Well, things have changed." Counters Dekker.

"Absolutely nothing has changed. You still come from peasant families and don't belong here." Interrupts Caine.

"You apparently don't know who this is." Dekker motions to Zane. "He's the Rebel Slayer."

"If he's so great, then why's he hanging out with you? Besides, he's still a peasant, and got lucky by using magic that he doesn't understand." Contends Drake.

"You speak so highly of yourselves, but yet, there are only two of us here that have white flames burning when they cross the Great Seal." Announces Zane. "You would do yourself a favor to remember that. However, you are right. I came from a peasant upbringing and didn't understand magic when I used it against the Rebels. I have since learned how to use my powers. Would you like a display? If not, then get out of my way."

"Let's go. These peasants aren't worth our time anyway." Insists Drake as they leave the hall.

"That was amazing! I can't believe you just said that to them! We're the only ones with white flames burning. You're damn right!" Bounces Dekker around the hallway excited.

Zane smirks and stares in amusement.

"I wasn't in the mood." Admits Zane. "Besides, they don't know what I can or can't do with magic.

"Well, we better practice up before they find out that they're better at controlling their powers than we are." Reveals Dekker.

"That's probably a good idea." Agrees Zane.

"Anyway, this is our room." Smiles Dekker as he opens the door.

Zane's eyes widen as he walks into the large room.

"This is our room? Just for the two of us?" Zane questions Dekker in disbelief. "This is amazing!"

"Everyone calls it the suite because of how big it is compared to the other rooms. We also fight over it every year." Explains Dekker. "This is the only room that has individual rooms for each person, a large common area with a fireplace, and a huge library."

Zane eyes the mountainous bookshelves and the spiral staircase that leads up to the second level of the common room where more bookshelves are filled.

"It would take a lifetime to read all of those books." Emphasizes Zane in amazement.

"Then you better get started now." Laughs Dekker.

Zane walks into the individual rooms to see what they look like and is further amazed.

"These rooms are huge too!" Laughs Zane as he tries to figure out which one is his.

He finds his trunk in one of the rooms, and starts to unpack his things when there's a knock at the door. Dekker opens the door to find Ademar standing in the hall with a pair of matching swords.

"Come in Lord Ademar." Welcomes Dekker.

"I hope you've had adequate time to get settled into your room." Responds Ademar as he sits in one of the luxurious chairs in front of the fireplace.

"Of course." Agrees Zane as he and Dekker sit as well.

"I wanted to discuss my theory on the color changes when you crossed the Great Seal. I have to admit that I've been very curious to see how the Seal would react for quite some time now. I was very surprised to see it burn green, but I think it has something to do with the legend. I believe that the Seal turning green basically confirms that you are the one prophesized in the legend." Explains Ademar.

"So what does the bright white and gold mean then?" Questions Zane as he leans in his seat.

"There are some things I'm going to tell you that must not leave this room for the time being. Neither of you can speak a word of this. Do you understand?" Orders Ademar.

"Of course." They reply in unison as their curiosity heightens.

"First, I have something for you." Adds Ademar as he hands the swords to Zane.

"What are these for? I haven't done anything to deserve these." Questions Zane.

"These were your father's swords." Announces Ademar.

"You knew my father?" Asks Zane as his eyes widen.

"Your father was my best friend." Explains Ademar. "He saved my life with these very swords on many occasions and he would have wanted you to have them."

"I've seen those swords before." Interrupts Dekker.

"That's because these were the swords of Lord Hagan. He was your father Zane." Reveals Ademar.

Zane stares at Ademar, unable to find words.

"Your mother was Lady Lia, younger sister to the former Queen, which makes you Asher's cousin. Your existence had to remain a secret because of the truth behind their deaths, and because King Pythios of Demure would want you dead to get revenge for your father killing his son. I needed to make sure you could take care of yourself before I revealed your existence to the world. This is why I wasn't surprised when I saw the Seal burn gold. I also wasn't surprised to see it burn white. With your father being who he was, I figured you were destined to be a Chancellor one day." Explains Ademar.

"I need some time to process this." Responds Zane.

"Of course. Take all the time you need." Answers Ademar as Zane heads to his room and shuts the door.

***Thank you for reading. If you enjoy the story so far, please vote***