Chapter 64

The Grand Hall at Brinonberg Palace slowly calms as Asher stands from his throne. He looks over at his wife with a smile as the guests chant and cheer for her. He raises his hand, and silence falls over the large hall. He stares at the guests, as he looks at many of their faces staring back at him intently, wondering what he will say.

"In honor of my Queen, I would like to start a new tradition," Asher announces. "After each wedding from now on, War Games will be played before the feast to honor the bride and give display of her new husband's skills in battle." He embraces Zane by the shoulder as he looks at the crowd of guests. "If you don't like the new tradition, it was my cousin Zane's idea."

Zane smiles and shakes his head as the crowd laughs. "Thank you for that horrible introduction your Highness," retorts Zane as he looks out at the hundreds of guests with their eyes focused on him. "I figured that since our new King is so dull, we could add something to the celebration that's a little more entertaining than his company."

The crowd of guests erupts in laughter, but none laugh harder than the Queen. Asher looks at her in shock as he smiles at the joke. She shrugs as she looks at him and continues laughing.

"Alright, that's probably enough jokes at the King's expense. Let us head to the inner courtyard, and later we can dine and celebrate with the food and drink provided on his expense," declares Zane with a laugh.

The guests laugh again as they all rise and begin slowly exiting the Grand Hall.

"I do believe you're funnier than my normal fool," announces Asher with a smile as he and the rest of the wedding party follows the guests out of the Grand Hall.

"Only because my intellect and witty responses are on a level the King is not accustomed to," retorts Zane with a sly grin as they head down a main hallway.

Asher laughs. "You are quite determined to become the main entertainment this evening. By that I mean at your execution."

"You may need an army to accomplish that," boasts Zane.

"I believe Ademar and Baschera could get the job done," argues Asher with a smirk.

"You had better find someone else to clean up the mess you let your mouth get you into," interrupts Baschera smiling. "Zane is one of the few on a very short list of people I actually like."

"Betrayed by both of my cousins, and on my wedding day no less!" proclaims Asher acting hurt as they enter the inner courtyard. "I see how it is. Just for that, I shall make sure the two of you are on opposing sides in the War Games."

"You say that like it's supposed to offend us," retorts Baschera with a large grin on his face. "Being on different teams is the only way either of us will be challenged anyway. Unlike you, we enjoy being at odds."