Chapter 44

Asher sinks into a chair at a table with Baschera

Asher sinks into a chair at a table with Baschera. Shock consumes him as he zones into a lost stare as his mind races. Navar approaches Asher and sits next to him. Baschera sobers with the news and motions to his two female concubines to leave. Asher stands up, grabs his chair, and throws it across the pub. "How the hell did this happen?" Screams Asher.

"Isabel left the castle grounds into Brinonberg with a group of Kings Guard, but they were ambushed in the trade district," explains Navar.

"Who allowed her to leave?" Yells Asher.

"Dorian tried to stop her from leaving your Highness, but she told him she was going either way. He talked her into at least going in disguise, but it didn't matter, someone recognized her. He was badly wounded trying to protect her and did everything he possibly could your Highness," continues Navar.

"I'm literally about to go back to the palace and have everyone in Brinonberg and the palace executed! Someone in the palace is working with the Rebels and giving them information and access to the palace. How is it that my Mother could go almost twenty years as the Queen Regent and never had one attempt on her life? Then, only weeks before I am to take over as King, she is poisoned. Then, the convoy coming to her funeral from the Academy is ambushed, an attempt on my life was made, and now my Queen-in-waiting is kidnapped. Somebody better start figuring something out, or I'm executing people by the thousands if that's what it takes!" Vows Asher.

"We will find her your Highness, or I will die trying," promises Navar.

"Before you ready the troops, send a rider to Motherwell to tell Ademar of the situation. I want him, Zane, and everyone else at the school of sorcery to meet me at the capitol. Also, send riders to each of the provinces to tell each duke to prepare their troops and start searching for her. I don't want a single stone left unturned," orders Asher.

"Yes your Highness," agrees Navar as he and Crispin exit the pub.

"I should have never left," Asher states, condemning himself.

"You aren't to blame in this cousin. If you had been there, it could have been you that was taken, or worse," declares Baschera as he slowly stands upright.

"I could have at least stopped her from going out into the city," replies Asher as he stands as well.

"Let's go kill some Rebels and get your Queen back," announces Baschera as he attempts to pull out his sword but almost falls down.

"You are in no condition to fight. Once we get back to Brinon, you will go get some sleep and then you can join the search tomorrow," demands Asher.

"Bullshit! I think I can probably fight even better when I'm drunk," insists Baschera as he braces himself, holding on to the back of his chair.

"You can barely stand right now, let alone fight," observes Asher.

"Shh, do you hear that?" Questions Baschera as he holds a finger up to his lips.