Chapter 36

Heartbeats thump loudly in anticipation, as everyone stands as motionless as statues in the inner courtyard of Brinonberg Castle

Heartbeats thump loudly in anticipation, as everyone stands as motionless as statues in the inner courtyard of Brinonberg Castle. Scraping sounds break the silence as two of those statues slide their feet to fan out around Baschera. His eyes watch their movement without looking at them, waiting for them to make their move. He stands completely vulnerable, with the two swords dangling at his sides. He notices movement as Navar steps from a darkened hallway to observe the upcoming conflict. Baschera stares straight at the larger man in the middle named Dorian, as Ezra continues to shift left, and Galil to the right. The sounds of their breathing become evident as their hearts begin to beat faster, letting Baschera know the impending attack is approaching.

Ezra is the first to move as he jolts at Baschera with both hands gripping the hilt of the wooden sword overhead. Baschera stares at Dorian and smiles before finally taking action. He blocks a crushing blow with one sword, and follows by cracking Ezra across the back with the other. Ezra takes a dive right toward Galil who is already in motion toward Baschera. Galil spins to avert collision as Ezra hits the ground. Baschera blocks an overhead blow from Dorian as Galil lunges off balanced. He knocks the thrusting sword away, and then kicks Galil in the back, sending him hard into the ground. Dorian follows with crushing swing after swing from every direction that eventually knocks a sword from Baschera's hand. He notices Ezra inbound as Dorian swings again. He blocks using both hands and swings at Dorian's knee. The sword connects, bringing the large man to his knees just before Baschera kicks him square in the chest. As Dorian collapses hard, gasping for air, Ezra swings with all his might. Baschera drops to the ground as the sword nearly takes his head, causing Ezra to trip over him. He grabs a small dagger from inside his boot, stands, and hurls it toward the balcony where Asher overlooks. The blade spins side to side through the air, narrowly missing Asher's stomach as it passes under his outstretched arms and buries itself into the chest of a would be assassin. Asher steps back quickly to see the large tear across his tunic. He watches the man drop his dagger as he stumbles and falls over the railing of the balcony, smashing hard into the cobblestone that paves the inner courtyard. His eyes remain open, yet hollow as the blood begins to pool around him.

"Seal the castle! Protect your King!" Screams Crispin as Soldiers begin to scatter in search of rebels.

Baschera sprints to one of the racks on the edge of the courtyard and pulls two swords from it. He races up the stairs to the third floor where the King's chamber is. As he approaches Asher's door, he notices a thick blood trail smeared on the floor that leads down the hall. He quickly barges into Asher's room to find him violently tossing the room as he searches it for another intruder.

"Are you alright?" Questions Baschera.

"Yeah. Thanks to you." Sighs Asher loudly as he shakes his head.

"Could there be anyone else in here?" Asks Baschera.

"No. I already checked." Reports Asher as he stands in the middle of the wreckage created by his search.