Chapter 38

Asher wakes, instantly smiling while his arms are wrapped around a nude Isabel

Asher wakes, instantly smiling while his arms are wrapped around a nude Isabel. He kisses the side of her neck as she starts to stir.

"Good morning." He announces as she opens her eyes.

"Good morning." She replies.

A soft knock at the door interrupts his thoughts of urging her for morning transgressions.

"Who is it?" He yells, a bit annoyed.

"I have your breakfast your Highness." Answers the kitchen servant.

"Bring it in." He replies.

She enters the room slowly, but hastens her pace once she notices Asher and Isabel in bed together. She places the food on his dinning table and quickly exits.

"Are you hungry?" Questions Asher as she relaxes with her eyes closed.

"I am." She responds as she stretches.

He rolls out of bed and pulls on his trousers as he watches her put her nightgown on.

"Bless the Gods!" He exclaims under his breath.

They sit down at the table and begin eating when they hear another knock at the door.

"Can I not go even a short while without someone knocking on my door." Sighs Asher only loud enough for Isabel to hear.

"The luxury of being the King." Smiles Isabel.

"Yes, come in!" Announces Asher as he tries to get a few quick bites in.

Crispin pokes his head in without fully opening the door.

"Sorry to bother you your Highness, but we have a situation of dire importance." Declares Crispin in a serious tone.

"Alright, one moment." Insists Asher.

Crispin steps out and closes the door as Asher gets up and grabs his boots and a fresh tunic.

"I'm sorry about this." Adds Asher. "I was hoping that you and I could have an uninterrupted morning, but that isn't the case."

"It's alright. I might just go back to bed for a bit anyway." Admits Isabel.

"I'll be back soon, hopefully." He insinuates as he kisses her before leaving the room.

He steps into the hallway and follows Crispin down the hall to the council chamber as two of the Guardsmen follow them and post up outside the door.

"Alright, what's going on?" Questions Asher as he notices Ezra already sitting in the room.

"Go ahead Ezra." Motions Crispin.

"Rebels have attacked Asbury your Highness." Reveals Ezra.

"Do we know how many were killed?" Questions Asher.