Chapter 67

The loud hum from the crowd of people chattering as they barter in Brinonberg's trade district causes Crispin to keep a watchful eye as he pushes his way through the chaos that occurs there every morning. Pratticus, one of Crispin's military commanders follows closely as he watches all who come near them. As Crispin spots the herb merchant he's been looking for, he raises his hand to his mouth as he coughs loudly. He approaches the merchant's table and begins sorting through the hundreds of different herbs in small jars stacked in no specific order. As he looks, a man in a hood approaches.

Pratticus nods to the familiar man who passes by and stops casually next to Crispin. The man in the hood leans close and whispers into Crispin's ear before he nonchalantly turns and disappears back into the sea of people. Crispin carries on his search without pause until he finds the coltsfoot leaves that will help soothe his uncontrollable cough. He unties a small bag of coins from his belt and hands two pieces of silver to the merchant.

"Thank you my lord," acknowledges the merchant with a nod before he shoves the silver pieces into his pocket.

Crispin nods and then ties the bag of coins back to his belt. He grabs the jar of coltsfoot leaves and slowly starts making his way past the thousands that pack the trade district. As he finally breaks free of the crowd, he approaches three of his Soldiers on horseback waiting for his return. He and Pratticus quickly mount their horses and take off for the palace.

As Crispin and his Soldiers enter the main gate to Brinonberg Palace, he catches sight of Zane and the others preparing to leave. Crispin dismounts his horse and approaches Zane and Rose before they get into their carriage.

"Uncle Crispin!" announces Rose. "I was hoping to see you before we left."

"Sorry about that," admits Crispin as hugs her. "I needed some herbs to help with this damn cold that kept me up coughing half the night."

"Well, you had better be feeling better when I return," demands Rose with a smile.

"I will try to get over it quickly," he answers with a smile as he lets go of her. He turns his attention to Zane and grabs him by the forearm. "Be safe my Prince," he adds with a bow.

"We will," answers Zane before he lets go of Crispin's forearm.

"Have either of you seen Asher?" asks Crispin changing the subject.

"Yeah, he and Isabel just headed back into the palace right before you rode in," claims Zane.

"Thank you. I need to go and do the whole Chancellor thing," Crispin insists with a smile.

"Alright. Bye," replies Rose as she gives Crispin one last hug.

"I'll see you soon," Crispin adds with a smile before he lets go and heads for the palace entrance.