Chapter 7

I woke up to an absolutely delicious smell. I don't even remember what food smelled like this, but it was fantastic. Darren sat on a chair across the room, reading a book and drinking a steaming cup of, something.

            "Hi Darren," I spoke, startling him. This caused him to throw the book onto the floor.

            "Oh wow, it's uh. Not what it looks like?" He smiled in confusion, "I didn't want to wake you, and I started reading and. I just. I swear I'm not some really weird creepy guy who watches pretty girls while they sleep."

            "That doesn't sound suspicious at all. Are you sure you weren't watching me?"

            "I am a million percent sure that I was not watching you. I was just. I was reading and just, I sound like a total idiot right now. I brought you hash browns, eggs and toast."

            "You know, you look really tough and confident, but you're actually this really childish guy."

            "I'll take that as a compliment? I think."

            "Can I have that food now?"

            "Oh, yeah, right. The food. The food that I brought for you! Wow that sounds like I'm really obsessive. Cameira, I swear I'm not. I just, figured that you'd like some fo- Why are you laughing?"

            "Because you're rambling and overthinking," I smiled at him, as he handed me the tray of food.

            "I. Uh, yeah. We have to go down and meet everyone today."

            "Okay, what time is it now?"

            "Very early," He looked at a device on his wrist, "8:23 am. To be, uh, exact."

            "I haven't seen a watch in about a month. Where'd you get it?" I asked, beginning to eat real food for the first time in a while. I didn't even care where it came from, or how it was made, I'm starving and miss this too much.

            "They were given to everyone during initiation."

            "Initiation?"

            "Unless you plan on staying, I doubt you would, you don't have to do it."

            "I'm kinda on auto pilot right now. I don't plan on anything."

            "Really? If you plan on staying, you need to let me know so your initiation can start soon!" His brown eyes sparkled at the thought of a new friend.

            "I'll need to think about it."

            "Well what's holding you back? I mean Jewe-."

            I threw the now empty plate to the ground and felt my eyes water, "Do not even think about finishing that statement or I will crush every bone in your legs and ensure you never walk again."

            "Oh, uh, I'm sorry please don't crush me to death. But, I mean, she is, you know. Gone. So what is there to think about?"

            I started throwing things at him. Pillows, anything I could get my hands on, "Don't ever say that she is gone! She's not! Sh-she can't be."

            I had stood up in my outburst, but it wasn't for long. My knees soon couldn't hold my weight and I fell to the ground. I looked up and saw Darren standing there in shock.

             "I-I um. I'm sorry, Cameira," a weak smile spread across his lightly freckled face.

            "You should be. She. Is. Not. Gone."