Chapter 16

When I woke up the next morning, Farris was still asleep. My head on his chest, his arm wrapped protectively around me. The sheets were a mess, tangled in itself.

I went to stand up, but the tangle of a blanket was stuck around my leg and I fell helplessly to the floor. Farris woke up to me laughing at my own unlikely clumsiness.

"I never thought I'd wake up to finding you sprawled on the floor," Farris looked over the edge of the bed at me, "Come on, get up."

He reached a hand out to me, which I grabbed without hesitation. He helped me up. I wrapped a sheet around my self and sat on the bed.

I looked over to the green eyed man that sat next to me. His shirt was off and I was mesmerized.

"You look like you've never seen me shirtless before. You gonna need a tissue for the drool?" He threw a wink at me.

I let out a sarcastic laugh, "haha, very funny. I'm not drooling. I'm just looking at all the, uh, scars. What are they from?"

"They're... They're nothing."

"Nothing? Ris, they don't look like nothing."

"Stop asking! I said they're nothing!" He yelled before storming out of the room angrily.

I sat there, dumbstruck. He's never yelled at me like that. He's just li-. No. No one was as bad as him. No one. But Farris was sure as hell a close second.

I got dressed and walked out of the house. I saw Darren sitting on a bench at the entrance of the library.

"Hey, I just saw Farris go inside, he looked pretty pi-"

"I don't wanna talk about it."

"What did he do?"

"It's nothing serious. I pressed on a sensitive subject and he snapped and stormed out of the house."

"Oh. He didn't hurt you, did he?"

"No, why do you ask?"

"You're covered in ma- Oh. Cami, you act quickly," he smirked at me.

"What? Damn it. Is it that obvious?" I let out a small laugh.

"Maybe just for me, I notice alot of things. That's why I didn't stay at the house last night. I noticed the way you two looked at each other and I didn't wanna be in the house for that."

"So you went to... Kale's!" I smiled, "Learn to apply your own cologne after spending all that time at a girls place."

"What? How did? Jesus Christ, Cam, you're a little detective aren't you?"

"What can I say, I notice alot of things," I grinned before getting up and walking over to Kai in the courtyard.

"Hey there, stranger," I joked towards the mismatched eyed man.

"Hello, Cameira."

"You're so serious. All the time. Lighten up, Kai."

"How can I? My peoples lives are at risk if we can't get the allies in time. Your life is at risk."

"Oh come on, you know I can fend for myself."

"Not against all of the Westerners. Cami, can't you see? We're all in danger. All of us. Mainly you."

"Why mainly me?"

"I thought you were observant of everything? You betrayed them, turned their own against them. You are their biggest threat right now."