Chapter 27: I'd Like Some of Your Time, Please

Four weeks later

I'm in an urban city called Grantire in Wheetsheere and am renting out an apartment. It's probably the size of my old apartment in Yasfen, but the rent is super low and it's clean so I took it. I currently have a job in a cafe as a waitress and the teachers from my old school in Yasfen are teaching me through Skpe, email, and other various forms of communication while the school transfers my records. I had two friends who would help me through the school year and conveniently one worked at the same cafe I did. They thought my parents sent me here to hide because I had embarrassed them before. What a lie.

I snap out of my thoughts as a hand is waved in front of my face.

"Hey, Linnea, you blanked out," Bayder, one of my two friends say.

"Sorry."

Smiling at him, I grab my notepad and pen and starts off the take orders. Life was slow moving right now, but it was normal. Ish. I never went anywhere without my black hoodie to cover the various scars slashing angrily across my wrists. At least I was in a memory free place.

Without looking up, I ask for the customers order.

"I'd like some of your time, please."

That unmistakable voice penetrates my thoughts and I snap my head up.

"Lorenzo?"

...

After I saw him at the cafe, I felt like I owed him some explanation, so I took an early break. We were currently walking along the beach in silence. Lorenzo is the first to break it.

"How could you?"

"Look, Lorenzo, I'm so sorry."

"You're sorry? Linnea, I was scared to death! I thought Thibault had kidnapped you again! You left without a word, with no thought for how I would feel! I thought he had hurt you and I tore myself up everyday! I couldn't bear the thought of you alive! For four weeks! You didn't contact at all or do anything to prove you were alive! I spent the last four weeks tearing apart Hekike and Wheetsheere looking for you! I asked the freaking government to look for you! I haven't slept, barely eaten, and here you are, living!" Lorenzo explodes.

I want to feel guilty, then I remember he's trying to place the blame on me.

"You're angry at me?"

"I have every right to be angry! You left! Without a word! Why, Linnea?! Why?"

"You want to know why? My family is dead, Lorenzo. Dead. Six feet under and never coming back. They were killed in a freaking car accident because of me. I was the one driving the car and I am the one responsible my family is gone. I killed my family, Lorenzo! I killed them and that eats me up everyday! I want to die everyday! What purpose do I have here? Everything I used to live for is gone and it's not coming back! I want to die so much, Lorenzo. I hate it so much. I can't, I can't, I can't!" I say, grabbing my head.

I couldn't take it anymore. Life was too hard.

"Yasfen had too many memories that the thanksgiving party dug up. I couldn't take it anymore. I had to leave."