Chapter 35: Rip His Head Off

It's after the funeral and we're at Lorenzo's house. His jerk father didn't bother to show up to see her before she went into surgery, but he turned on the waterworks at the media ridden funeral in Yasfen. That jerk. I wish I could rip his head off. Lorenzo is just sitting at the bar, accepting condolences. He hasn't said a word since the news of Myklyn's death, it's like he turned off his emotions. His jerk father is standing at the entrance, accepting guests and condolences, like Lorenzo, but worse. He puts up a front. No word in any language can describe him or my hatred for him or my burning desire to slit his throat. I walk over to Lorenzo, who is nursing a glass of club soda and staring at the backyard.

"Let's go eat," I say, pulling him to the buffet table.

He allows himself to be pulled and I pile a bunch of food on his plate. I carry it to the table where Zaquen and Quinden are sitting silently, still mulling over the fact that Myklyn's gone. Sometimes, I expect her to come in and start fussing over Lorenzo, get him to start talking when I remember that she's gone. The house has been eerily silent since I started staying with Lorenzo to make sure that he's okay. There isn't anymore bustling of maids around the mansion, no more clattering of pots and pans from the kitchen. It's like Myklyn's death sucked the soul out of everyone.

...

When I wake up, Lorenzo's side of the bed is empty. Frowning, I sit up and look around. He's not in the bathroom or his closet. Getting changed for school, I walk downstairs and see him setting plates on the dining table.

"Hey Linnea!" He greets.

I stand there in shock, surprised he actually sounds happy.

"Hey Lorenzo," I greet cautiously.

He goes back to setting the table and starts whistling. Whistling.

"Are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be? I made your favorite breakfast and I'm finally coming to terms with my mother's death. I couldn't be happier."

I sit down slowly and look at him.

"I'm fine, Linnea," he says as he reaches across the table, grabbing my hand.

Shrugging, I decide to let it go...for now.

...

When we reach the school, Lorenzo takes his hand off mine and races around the car to open my door. Offering a hand to mine, he intertwines our fingers. He kisses me quickly before I step out of the car and I blush and look down.

"Stop," he says, lifting my chin.

"Can't help it. Embarrassed."

"To be kissing me?"

"No, I take that back, it's not embarrassing, I'm just not used to it."

"Well, get used to it."

We walk into the school, fingers intertwined and I see the same sympathetic glances we've gotten from everyone the past week. Lorenzo doesn't need their pity. He needs to be treated normally. His grip tightens on my hand and we walk a little faster to our first period, ignoring the stares.

...

At lunch, we're sitting at our table which has the meager population of Lorenzo and I. We decided that the people at Lorenzo's old table weren't worth talking to. Including Brittany and Kennett. Then they walk over to us. I guess they made up. Huh, interesting. Not.

"Hey Lorenzo, I'm throwing a party tonight. Wanna come?" Brittany asks, batting her eyelashes.

Lorenzo looks over to me and I give a slight shrug. I don't want to go, but if Lorenzo wants to, I will go. He's grieving and I don't know how to help him. This attitude is weird.