Chapter 24: My Father is Not Nice

It's Thanksgiving day and I'm panicking. I don't know what to wear. I want to make a good impression on Lorenzo's family and friends, but I don't want to change what I wear just for them. When Lorenzo pulls into my driveway, I'm still in my pajamas and I'm laying on the bed covered in discarded clothing. Ugh, when did I become such a girly-girl who cared about what she wore and what she looked like in other people's eyes?

"Linnea?"

Lorenzo lets himself in with the spare key hidden in the brick and sees me in my state.

"What are you doing? The party starts in half an hour and you're not even ready!"

I hear his voice in my room and sit up. Dressed in a three piece suit, he looks gorgeous. I try to look away but he looks really nice.

"Wow Lorenzo, you clean up nicely."

"I would say the same to you, but you have on nothing!"

"I don't know what to wear!"

"Why is it that I'm always the one helping you dress?"

I shrug and flop back down on the bed,  drawing circles on the ceiling. When he comes out of my closet a couple minutes later, he's carrying a black 50's  dress. It hits right at the knee and has a delicate chiffon layer. In his other hand he carries a Burberry black trench coat and a pair of black flats. I want to wear the dress because it's gorgeous, but my mom gave that to me and I don't want to open up old wounds.

"Black? Are you sure? It's thanksgiving and all..." I trail off when I look at him glaring at me.

"Don't doubt my amazing fashion sense," he teases. "Anyways, black looks good on you, it brings out your eyes."

I blush and duck my head.

"But do I have to wear it?" I ask softly, dragging my finger across the bed, refusing to look up.

"Why don't you want to wear it?"

When I don't respond, he puts the clothes on a chair and walks over to me.

"What's wrong?"

I shake my head and stubbornly keep my gaze on my mattress. He gently lifts my head and sees the unshed tears in my eyes. His eyes instantly fill with pain and confusion.

"What's wrong?" He repeats. "Did I do something?"

"No!" I backtrack. "No, you didn't do anything, it's just that...my mom gave me that dress and it digs up old memories."

He looks at me with sadness and I see how much he cares for me in that one second.

Deciding to push forward, for him, I say, "I'll wear the dress."

When I see his face about to protest, I say, "I'm not over their deaths, but it's a baby step towards it."

I walk into the bathroom and quickly change. The dress fits, surprisingly. My mom and Brietta had gone shopping one day in winter, just us girls. I had found the dress and before it had hit a couple inches below the knee. But apparently I hadn't changed at all except grow a couple inches. I walk out of the restroom and look toward Lorenzo for approval. He stares at me while I nervously fidget.

"What? Is it terrible? Do I look weird? I knew I shouldn't have worn this. Maybe I shouldn't go." I ramble.

"No! I mean, no. You look beautiful."

I smile at him and he gives me a weak smile in response. I look at him again before we leave the room, deciding to ditch the makeup and leave my hair naturally curly, and see that Lorenzo's hair is slicked to the side with gel.