Chapter 17: Genetics

The next day in art, we're working on our project which is due in a week. I'm freaking out because of the short time frame despite the fact that all we have to do is finish painting the 'smoke'.

"Calm down, Linnea. Look around, everyone else is barely painting and all we have to do is paint a couple strands. Take a deep breath. In. Out. In. Out," Lorenzo says in a leveled voice.

I take his advice and end up calmer. Together we finish the project and bring it to the front where it'll dry and stay safe.

"See? It's done. Now you can stop hyperventilating," Lorenzo smirks.

I glare at him while I clean up. The bell rings, but before I can leave, the teacher, Mr. Claudlib, asks me to stay behind. Lorenzo smirks and leaves me alone with the teacher. I roll my eyes at him and cautiously approach the teacher's desk.

"You called?"

"Yes. I don't mean to pry, but this past year you've been closed off. Remember I was your teacher all through high school and I saw how you changed. After the accident, you closed yourself off from everyone. I understood that, but sometimes it's easier to go through life with someone by your side than not. Then you became friends with Lorenzo and you are gradually opening up. You don't need to explain, I just made this observation and if you ever need someone to talk to, always know I'm here."

Nodding, I rush out of the classroom. I spot Lorenzo leaning against the wall outside the classroom and join him. He starts walking to our next class, Spanish.

"What was that all about?" Lorenzo asks.

"He was just talking about how much happier I've been since befriending you," I say reluctantly, knowing how he'll react.

"Really? I've been a good influence on you? Wow. I am the first successful person to change Linnea! I'm touched."

I roll my eyes and walk faster in an attempt to ditch him. He easily catches up and slings an arm around my shoulders.

"Why are your legs so long? It's not fair!" I pout.

"Genetics. Just like how am I do devastatingly handsome? Genetics."

"I was going to say you got injected with something that made you talk and gave you a huge ego, but yeah, genetics works too," I mutter.

...

At lunch, instead of sitting at our regular booth, Lorenzo convinces me to sit with his other friends.

"What you have other friends? I'm shocked! You traitor!" I tease.

"Don't worry, you're still my best friend. Let's just branch out and make more friends."

"Fine," I relent, allowing him to pull me along.

I don't look up the entire walk across the cafeteria, but when we stop I find that we're at the popular table. With Brittany.

"I'm going to kill you for making us sit with her," I whisper in his ear.

"I swear, I didn't know she was going to sit here."

"It's the table with all the Superficial Barbies and Kens! Of course she would sit here!"

"Please? One lunch?" He asks, pulling a puppy dog face.

"Fine. One lunch. It'll be your last one because I will kill you."

He just laughs at my empty threat and sits us down in two empty seats. To my left is Lorenzo and to my right is some person who moved here with Lorenzo, Kyliane. In front of me is Brittany and next to her is that lousy senior who tried to hit on me. Kennett, I think. I take out my sandwich and take a large bite of it to prevent conversation.

Kyliane laughs and says, "You finally found someone who has an appetite, Lorenzo."

I raise an eyebrow at Lorenzo, who turns slightly pink. This confirms that he was a total player.

"So, Kyliane can you tell me more about how Lorenzo was?" I ask digging for more information.

"Well, he was a huge player. I swear, he had a new girl on his arm every week. And once he-"

Lorenzo clears his throat and Kyliane immediately stops. I grin at him and finish my sandwich.

"I was not a player!" Lorenzo protests.

"Yeah, and I don't have a D in statistics," Kyliane replies sarcastically.

"Oh, so you didn't have a girl every week?"I ask innocently. "Was it more like every three days?"

He glares at me and takes my chips. I just smirk at him and turn to Brittany.

"Hey, Brittany, I was talking to Lorenzo and he said-"

"Okay, fine, here're your chips back. Just shut up!" Lorenzo interrupts.

I smile and happily gobble my chips down.

Kyliane smiles at this exchange and says, "Aww, y'all are such an adorable couple!"

I choke on a chip and Lorenzo pats my back while handing me my water. Across from me I see Brittany stiffen and sit up straight.

"We aren't dating. We're just friends. Extremely platonic friends. I wouldn't date him. I mean he's nice and cute and all, but we're just friends. Only friends," I say with finality in my tone.

"Okay, they get it," Lorenzo says stiffly.

Why is he so tense? He doesn't like me. This is just a cover. Now he won't know about my secret crush. If we're friends he won't suspect I have a crush on him. Yeah. That makes sense. 

An awkward silence settles over the table and Kyliane laughs to break it.

"Wow, okay just friends. Just so you know, according to Lorenzo, it doesn't look like you're just fr-"

"Shut up, Kyliane," Lorenzo growls.

I look at Lorenzo and laugh.

The bell rings, releasing me from that very awkward lunch. I empty my tray and walk over to Lorenzo.

"I told you that lunch would be terrible," I groan.

Lorenzo doesn't talk back and I nudge him.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Nothing, I just need some space."

He walks off, leaving me alone in the hall.

___
A/N

Pictured: The sculpture Linnea and Lorenzo made

I didn't think this chapter was one of my best. It seemed kind of typical and bordering on cliché. But that's kind of what this book is. I kind of need this chapter because it introduces characters. So I can't delete it because I have no other ideas how to introduce them. Sorry.

What do you think made Lorenzo leave so suddenly?

Remember: constructive criticism is always appreciated!