Chapter 9: I Don't Need Saving

When I wake up, I see a head of brown hair hanging in a pair of large hands. Lorenzo.

"Lorenzo?" I whisper, too tired to talk. "What are you doing here?"

His head snaps up at the sounds of my raspy voice and says with a smirk, "I saved you from that loser and that's my thanks?"

"Did I ask you to save me? I can take care of myself. The situation was handled."

"Really? 'Cause you seemed to have it totally handled when I walked in and saw that monster about to kill you."

Why is he so annoying?

It seemed that every time we interacted it turned into a full blown fight.

"Look, I had him handled. You can stop saving me from death. Not that I want saving," I retort, mumbling the last part.

"I'm just trying to help you and I get scolded? What is wrong with that?"

"I don't need saving! I can take care of myself! We aren't friends and we never will be. I don't like you. You are arrogant and egotistical. You are aware of your looks and you think that you can rule the school because of it. The only thing connecting us is the project. After that I will be put out of my misery and we'll never work together again. I cannot wait until that day. So just leave. I don't need a caretaker. If I ever see you again, I won't stop myself from punching you in that pretty little face of yours."

He looks at me with those piercing green eyes of his and says,"Nice to know what you think of me."

Then he leaves the room without a fight. I almost feel sad he didn't argue, like I wasn't worth it or something, but I shake off the feelings. I just need some air. Carefully, I get off the bed and open the door. Leaning against the opposite wall is Dr. Vasdrik.

"Can I take a walk?" I ask, aware that he heard every word I said.

He nods and I sigh in relief. Once I promise to be back in an hour, I walk outside and it starts to drizzle.

Just my luck.

...

I decide to walk along the path that circles the town. The town is small in size and population, so the walk shouldn't take more than 50 minutes.

I find a small, rundown playground and sit on the swing. The rain starts coming down harder and I feel the fat drops hit my face and run down in rivulets. I can't let anyone in for fear that they will eventually leave. I have to protect my heart. Staying isolated was the safest way to protect me. I couldn't go through the pain of getting abandoned again. I had built an island to protect myself and Lorenzo had somehow jumped in the water to reach me. I had tried to send currents his way, but he wouldn't give up. I didn't understand. Why wasn't he leaving? I would rather him leave while my guard was up than have him tear down my walls and then leave while I was vulnerable.

__
A/N
Sorry for the (short) boring, filler chapter. I just didn't know what to write. Hopefully next chapter is better.

Remember: constructive criticism is always appreciated!