Prologue

"No!" I scream my throat raw, hot tears pouring down my face. "Stop, please!!" I can't let this happen, I need them.

Everything happens so fast. A bang, my mother and father on the floor, blood pouring onto the ground. The hooded figures escape and I continue to struggle against the ropes bounding my writes together. The skin is torn but I don't care about that. I run to my parent's life-less bodies. 

"No!" My body shakes with sobs, "Come back, I need you!!"  My vision blurs but I can still see the deep red that lays beneath me. I cry like I've never cried before and without knowing where I'm going, I get up and run. The scene replays in my head, making me feel as if I have watched them die a thousand times. In the distance is his mop of brown hair, Caleb, my brother who is two years older then me. 

He looks at my face "What's wrong?" He asks. I can't hold it back.

 "They're dead." Is all my body allows me to get out.

"Who?" Invisible hands wrap around my throat, making it difficult to talk,  my body shakes and I think Caleb notices. He picks me up and runs to the nearest hospital. It feels like my heart is being ripped out of my chest and stabbed. "Somebody help!" 

Nurses rush towards us, asking all sorts of questions. "I think she's in shock. All she said was that they're dead." A nurse with red curly hair leads us to a room where Caleb lays me down on the bed.

"What's your name sweetheart?" the nurse asks me. Caleb answers instead. The nurse continues to talk to me, "We have contacted to police and they should be here shortly. For now, we would like to do some tests. Is that alright?" I nod. 

Soon two police enter the room, one with a note pad. They introduce themselves and start asking questions. My mouth stays shut, my mind racing.

"Beatrice, you need to calm down, tell us what happened." Caleb soothes. 

His eyes plead with me. I tell them everything; from the moment my parents and I were running when everything turned black, to the part where I watched them die. By now Caleb is crying too, he wraps his arms around me as if he never wants to let go. The police and nurses give us empathic looks. 

We only have each other now and we know we can't stay here with all the memories. Caleb's 18 so he can be my guardian until I'm 18 which is in two years. 

When we're finally done at the hospital and then the police station, we go home. We pack everything we own but before we leave I have to get my feelings out and the only way I know how is to write a song, so I do.

I remember tears running down your face
When I said "I'll never let you go."
When all those shadows nearly killed your light
I remember you said, "Don't leave me here alone."
But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight.

Just close your eyes
The sun is going down,
You'll be alright
No one can hurt you now
Come morning light
You and I'll be safe and sound

Don't you dare look out your window, darling.
Everything's on fire
The war outside our door keeps raging on
Hold onto this lullaby
Even when the musics gone
Gone

Just close your eyes
The sun is going down
You'll be alright
No one can you now
Come morning light
You and I'll be safe and sound

Ooh x4
La x8
Ooh x4
La x4
Just close your eyes
You'll be alright
Coming morning light
You and I'll be safe and sound....

Ooh x6

I love you mum and dad. 

All Rights go to Taylor Swift for Safe and Sound.