Stranded - Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Out of breath, we arrived at the cafeteria. We entered through the back door, which was down a few steps.

There was a lock on the door, but that was no problem for me. I asked Tom to look out for anything. I picked the lock in a few seconds but it was jammed in the handle. "Tom, can you help me," I asked, trying to force the lock off.

"Here," he handed me his mop and yanked the lock off. I double checked nothing was coming for us and then followed Tom into the cafeteria. I shut the door behind me.

There was a small corridor, with a few coats that teachers had left. I wondered how many of those teachers were dead or had escaped. "Tom," I said. He turned around. "If we have to spend the night here, we could use these coats as blankets. It might get cold,"

"Good idea," he agreed. We grabbed all the coats. There was six in total. I put one on, as the weather outside was gradually getting chillier.

We quietly walked into the cafeteria. We didn't want to turn the lights on just in case it attracted the zombies. "We could do with a torch," I whispered. The room was full of empty chairs and tables scattered everywhere. Some students must have been eating their lunch when the news broke out. I wandered around and saw lots of half eaten food all over the tables. I looked at Tom, who was at the salad bar. "How are we gonna take the food back?"

I heard him rustling a coat around, but it was unclear what he was doing. He looked like a shadow, or a silhouette. I wandered my way towards him and realised he was packing food into the coats.

Tom had filled his coat with salads and pasta. I saw the door to the kitchen was half open so I went in. The light was on and silver pans were everywhere, empty. I frowned as I looked in the cupboards. They were all empty. There was nothing edible left. So someone had already been here to get food. Which meant there were others still stranded at school.