Stranded - Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I walked behind Tom as we were tiptoeing down the staircase. We were moving slowly and cautiously. My hand grabbed the handle as a sudden gust of wind nearly knocked me off balance. Tom looked at me for a second, then carried on. There was no sign of the 'zombies' yet, so we headed on down the pathway.

The thunder and lightning had disappeared, as did the rain. I could see pools of water - or maybe blood - all over the school grounds.

We were nearly at the cafeteria, when we could see a creature a few metres away gnawing on something that looked like a leg. My eyes and mouth widened. Tom took a step back and pushed me into the bush to our right. I was startled and knocked my head on the wall behind. "Ow!" I squealed.

"Shh!" Tom said. I suddenly realised how loud I was. Tom put his hand on his forehead, thinking what do do. The creature had heard us and was coming our way.

It had a strange walk. It couldn't exactly run and it was off balance, leaning to the left. One of its arms was shorter than the other and it's remaining clothes were threadbare. As it came nearer I could see one of its eyes were missing, and it's face had multiple blood red scars.

We had no other option to fight this creature. Tom looked extremely scared and hesitant to kill it. It came for me first and I nudged it away with my stick. "Harder!" Tom suggested. The 'zombie' tried to grab my wrist, but I pulled away. In the spur of the moment I took my mop and jabbed it straight into its stomach. It fell over, and I had left a hole where I jabbed him, but he was still squirming trying to get up. Tom used his stick and helped me stab the creature all over. But it was still moving like what we had done had no effect. I looked up worriedly at Tom. He kicked the creature, then had the idea of stabbing its head. He did so and the zombie stopped moving almost instantly.

"Run!" I screamed.