Stranded - Chapter 12

Chapter 12

I turned around and saw no one. I could see in the distance Lewis and Josh getting ready to leave but Lauren was missing. "Oh my god," I cried, "we need to find her!"

"Where would she be though? If she'd been attacked by - 'them', she would've screamed. She's probably just got scared and ran away,"

"Faye she's not safe! I need to find her,"  I said as Faye grunted.

It took so much strength for me not to get upset. I hated the idea of Lauren on her own in such a dangerous area. We weren't friends before, we didn't even know each other, but I felt like I needed to look out for her.

"Thank you," I said, sarcastically as Faye joined me. We swiftly walked in the other direction looking urgently in the deserted classrooms. Lewis and Josh caught up with us.

"What's going on?" They asked, confused.

"Lauren's gone," I said, "we're looking for her,"

"Do you want us to help?" Josh asked.

"No, it's ok, just get back to the others and see if they're alright," Faye replied, quickly. Josh and Lewis nodded and hurried off. Faye and I began frantically looking for Faye. It was so hard not to shout her name, but we didn't want to attract attention.

We turned a corner which had buildings more spaced out, so it wasn't as easy for us to hide. I walked slightly behind Faye, looking behind me. "She wouldn't have come this way would she?" I whispered, looking around.

"You never know," Faye replied.

We were searching for a few minutes when a horribly familiar gargling noise came from behind me. I looked over my shoulder to see two 'zombies' coming in our direction. "Faye!" I hissed. She looked around, afraid. She opened her mouth in shock as they got closer. My heart pounded against my ribcage as the corpses were near us.

"I'll take one you take one," she said quietly yet uneasily. At that moment I thrust my steak through the creatures forehead and released it. I had killed the corpse. I had killed something that used to be a person. I tried to let go of the guilt I was feeling as I helped Faye, who was struggling to fight it off.

We had defeated both of them. She looked pleased with herself, but I didn't. I felt so bad for killing it.

"Doesn't it bother you that they were humans once?" I said, looking down at the lifeless bodies before me. She thought for a second.

"I guess.... But think about it, they're trying to eat you," she said, "they don't seem to have any compassion,"

We carried on. With no luck, we headed back the way we came. I spotted a swarm of corpses in the distance so I ushered Faye on quickly.

We began passing some empty classrooms. I had realised when we passed them the first time, we only thought to look through the downstairs windows. I told Faye this and so we headed through the doors and up the stairs quietly.

"Stop. You hear that?" I asked. She nodded and we followed the sound of a girl crying. As we drew nearer to the noise, I peered through the small door keyhole and saw Lauren hiding in the corner upset. She looked absolutely terrified, but what of?

Thankful we had found her, I barged the door down. "Oh my god Lauren! What are you doing? We were so worried!" I exclaimed, hugging her.

Suddenly a loud thump crashed against the door. Faye, looking puzzled, investigated.

"Don't open the door," Lauren breathed.

"Why? What's there?" Faye said.

''Lauren..." I added. She just stared at me.

"I came in here because I saw my friends," she began. I raised my eyebrows in confusion. Faye folded her arms.

"They're behind the door,"

I didn't understand what Lauren was talking about at first. That was until the glass in the door smashed.