Excerpt - 5 Years Later

Louis

"Daddy!" I was awoken by a small body falling on top of me, and arms around as much of my body as they could reach. I blinked before rubbing my eyes and looked down at the small girl lying on me, her ear placed on the middle of my chest. 

"Morning sweet pea" I mumbled and rubbed her back. She popped her head up and smiled a toothy grin at me. 

"Happy Birthday Daddy" I smiled at her and kissed her forehead before I looked up to see Niall in the doorway, he was leaning against the door frame, his arms folded over his chest and a small box in his hand. 

"Thank you Sweetie" I told our three year old daughter and Niall walked up to the bed, climbing over the end and crawled up to me and our daughter. 

After Niall and I received the adoption papers, confirming our application, it took us two years for someone to accept us as capable and trustworthy parents to care for a child they didn't even want. It took us almost two years after our marriage that we got chosen, and that was the second best day of my life. 

The first, that was marrying Niall. The wedding was beautiful, and small and quiet. We found a nice place in the outskirts of Melbourne, had our families, friends from home and of course Harry and Liam. We were in a small church, only the first few rows on each side taken by our families, just what I wanted. 

Niall looked handsome as ever, wearing a black tux and tie with a white shirt. I on the other hand wore the blue suit I wore to my mum's wedding. I wanted to stray away from the traditional white and black theme. Besides, knowing me, if I wore white I'd most likely spill red wine or cake over me. After speaking my mind about that to Niall, he wouldn't leave the idea alone of coating my body in some sort of food before licking it off. I told him we'd save that for our wedding night. Boy did we have fun with that. Chocolate and cream and strawberries and other spreads. We got extremely messy, and so did the bed. Thankfully, it was in a hotel and we didn't have to clean up. 

"Happy Birthday love" Niall pecked my lips. Slowly, I pushed myself up, with Annabelle, our daughter, on my chest still and sat up against the pillows and headboard, Niall handed me a hand made card with a drawing on the front that was me, according to the label that was written in Niall's handwriting.  

When I opened the card, it was scribbled drawings of the three of us and more of Niall's messy left handed handwriting, it told me what Annabelle wanted to tell me.

To Daddy,

Happy Birthday

I love you

From Annabelle

I smiled lovingly at the card then to my daughter. She was beautiful, with her blonde hair and blue eyes. The mother was a young teen, scared and very worried about where her child would end up. We assured her we would take amazing care of her child - the sex unknown at the time - and we swore to keep that promise. We even named her after her biological mother. It only seemed right to do so. 

"Thank you Bella" I thanked her. "Now what have got me. Even though you don't have to get me anything. I swear Niall Horan, if you have bought me a Christmas present too I won't be happy. I just turned 32, I don't need things" Niall just smiled and handed me the box. 

"You know I can't do that. I have to give you things" Niall told me, like he did every birthday and Christmas for the past three years. That's when I started to realise I didn't need things as much as I used to, well nothing that  I couldn't buy myself. "I love buying you things" 

After the band returned after our break, we lasted another four years. Deciding to call it quits the year before. We had moved on from those songs, most of them too boyband for our now mature look. Liam was doing remixes, Harry was acting and secretly, Niall was working on some of his own music, he couldn't let his dream just disappear so easily. I was working with Simon and getting my own recording studio to get newcomers get into the industry, if I felt they were good enough. I haven't yet started, but I was set to the coming year.