Chapter 25: Lies I tell myself

"Come on out for some food Ash," Lynlet called out to me as she shook me awake. The smell of cooked food filled the air, making me drool in delight. I got out of the tent and was greeted by the sight of good food.

"Ash, you are awake? How do you feel?" Yona asked.

"I feel great!" I replied joyously as I skipped towards the smell and sat down somewhere further from the rest. I was still sort of uneasy about facing them after that. Yun passed me a bowl of food. The food was practically shining like stars. "Delicious!"

"I know right?" Lynlet laughed as she ate her share. "It was Lili and her two friends who brought the food." I glanced over and saw everyone happy and eating. Everyone is happier when they are eating good food after all. Even Zeno...

"Why would she do that? She loves Hiryuu. She wouldn't kill Hiryuu," I said.

"Then did you do it?" Zeno questioned.

I didn't kill Hiryuu. I would never do such a thing, after all, it will make you sad, wouldn't it? Zeno?

"Ash, are you okay?" Lynlet asked worriedly. "You don't look too good."

"I'm fine... Sorry for worrying you," I replied and faked a smile.

"Ash..." Lynlet muttered and put more food into my bowl. She patted my head and sighed. "I believe you did not do it, but Zeno..."

"Zeno does not need to believe me." 

"Don't lie to yourself, Ash..."

He does not. I don't particularly want him to. I don't need him to. I am not lying. After all, once a lie is said enough times, it becomes a truth.

Rain started to fall on us and everyone panicked over their food.

"Everyone evacuate! Defend the food to death!" Yun shouted. I quickly picked up as many of the plates of food as I could and hurried into the tent with everyone. It was a small tent, but we somehow managed to fit all ten of us. I tried to find a spot far away from Zeno, but somehow got squeezed next to him. He ignored me and continued to eat in his usual happy go lucky attitude.

I'm fine with this.

I glanced secretly at him as he interacted with everyone else. They were talking, but I could not hear them, my thoughts were too loud for me to hear a thing.

I don't care.

I don't need him to remember.

I don't need him to believe me.

I don't...

The lies I repeat in my mind as I recall how we first met.

I found a yellow-haired male lying on the ground restlessly and decided to take him back to my home. I was afraid he died because of the amount of blood on his clothes. I laid him on my bed and gave him a change of clothes. It was a little embarrassing, but I did not see a thing. I let him sleep on my bed as I went out to cook something for him. He seemed really thin, I wondered if he had anything to eat. Once I was done, I tried to enter the house, but the door was stuck so I knocked it down with all my strength, but it fell apart.